From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples leaders reflect on World Council Assembly

From "Wilma Shuffitt"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 29 Dec 1998 09:00:37

Date: December 29, 1998
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Curt Miller
Email: CMiller@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

98a-77

	INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- The World Council of Churches Eighth Assembly
didn't change the world. But Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
delegates say the assembly transcends individual issues and
Disciples' participation is a natural expression of the
denomination's historical commitment to global church unity, and
vital for the future of that vocation.

	 "The World Council of Churches is the most effective,
representative ecumenical body," said the Rev. Paul A. Crow, Jr.,
outgoing president of the Council on Christian Unity. "We're prone to
be highly American. It's in the World Council...that global
fellowship becomes a reality, and that we are perceived by other
traditions that have never known about us. Without the World Council
of Churches, our membership in it, and our very active participation
in it we would be a small church in a sectarian eddy."

	Crow and five other Disciples delegates represented the church as a
whole at the assembly Dec. 2-14 in Harare, Zimbabwe. Stan Litke,
Executive Director of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in
Canada also served as a delegate. While Canada is considered to be a
region within the U.S. and Canada denomination, the World Council
recognizes the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Canada as a
national church of that country, and named Litke to represent it.
More than a dozen other North American Disciples attended the
assembly in Africa as accredited visitors.

	The assembly elected Disciples General Minister and President
Richard L. Hamm to the 150-member WCC central committee. That body
meets once a year, and carries on the business of the council between
its every-seven-year assemblies. New to the central committee, Hamm
doesn't have a formal agenda, but he does have some ideas for change.
"I think I would design the assembly for more intentional interaction
between the people of different nations and cultures. There is
interaction, but it depends upon the willingness of the individuals
to do it. So I think I would structure it more carefully," said the
Disciples leader. Noting a large proportion of male heads of
communion on the central committee, Hamm said "I want to help the
council find a way to provide for broader representation of the
various categories of humanity while at the same time enabling
leaders to have ownership and to lead."

	In one of its statements on global affairs, the assembly appealed to
leaders of the world's wealthiest nations to cancel the debts of the
poorest countries "to enable them to enter the new millennium with a
fresh start," and to reduce substantially the debts of middle-income
countries. The WCC says it "accepts that tough conditions should be
imposed on debtor governments," but these must not be a prerequisite
for cancellation.

	Stan Litke, reflecting on his first assembly, said he attended a
number of the assembly's Padare sessions -- topical workshops,
dramas, exhibits and discussions apart from the assembly's
deliberative sessions. Comparing opinions and information he heard in
the Padare to the assembly's official action on debt forgiveness,
Litke concluded that the assembly didn't listen attentively to what
many African churches were saying.

	"My feeling was that really what they were trying to say to us is
that a lot of the governments are extremely corrupt and what we
should be concentrating more on instead of forgiving debt, is on
methods by which we can assure there are democratic governments in
place," said the Canada Disciples executive. He heard calls for
responsible and transparent government for African countries. "The
debt relief was a secondary concern," Litke said.

	During the Harare assembly, the Rev. Robert K. Welsh, president of
the Council on Christian Unity as of January 1, 1999, was elected to
a new seven-year term as moderator of the board of the WCC-related
Bossey Ecumenical Institute, Céligny Switzerland. As chair of the
Bossey board, he will serve on the WCC central committee. As the
Disciples ecumenical officer, he'll assist and advise GMP Hamm on the
central committee as well. "I think that's good. It gives our church
a couple of representatives, rather than just one -- and a couple of
different voices and perspectives," said Welsh.

	Both Welsh and Hamm said they were deeply touched by a speech
delivered to the assembly by South African President Nelson Mandela.
He expressed his appreciation and that "of the entire continent" to
the WCC, saying it has always "been known as a champion of the
oppressed and the exploited." Noting that his generation was a
product of church education, Mandela said, "If it was not for the
Church, I would not be with you here today. The government of the day
had no interest in educating Africans, Colored and Indians."

	Summing up his observations on the World Council of Churches Eighth
Assembly, Hamm said, "Someone said that it felt like the closing of
an era, but it didn't feel like a new era was opened. I think we're
in a transition period over the next seven years as we find our way
into whatever is next in the worldwide expression of the ecumenical
movement. It's an exciting time to be part of it."

	Fast approaching his retirement from his position as the Disciples
ecumenical officer, Crow hoped the WCC would change as new leaders
take it into the 21st century. "I would seek to focus the World
Council as a fellowship of churches who are committed to each other
-- and minimize the council acting on behalf of the churches. There's
a difference between a fellowship of churches and an ecumenical
institution," Crow observed. "What all ecumenical institutions need
now is to give up this idea that they are the privileged instruments
of the ecumenical movement. Their function is to draw the churches
into a deeper unity -- not to be the symbol of unity themselves."

	-- end --

Disciples News Service releases
are available at http://www.disciples.org/dns/index.htm