From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Make prayer for MPs your New Year's resolution

From "EAUK Press Office" <press@eauk.org>
Date 30 Dec 1998 13:54:43

For Immediate Release: 31st December 1998

Christians were today urged to put regular prayer for politicians
at the top of their list of New Year's Resolutions by the
Evangelical Alliance UK, the umbrella body representing more than
one million Christians in 30 denominations.

The call came as the Evangelical Alliance (EA) released the
results of a survey which showed that less than 10 per cent of
churches pray regularly for their MPs while less than five per
cent pray regularly for their local councillors.

The January-March edition of idea the EA's membership magazine,
reveals that two well-known Christian MPs who attended the
Alliance's council of management meeting in September stated that
their own churches refused to pray for them because to do so
would make a statement that the church supported their policies
or Political parties.

Martyn Eden, EA's public affairs director, said: "Nobody needs
prayer more than our politicians. This is not only because power,
or the hope of it, can be corrupting. The issues with which they
grapple are often complex, and God's perfect will is seldom
unambiguously clear, even if they seek to discern it.

"We do not pray for our MPs and councillors because we support
their politics, but because it is a biblical duty and,
ultimately, in Christian interests. One reason for the secular
drift in British politics is that not enough of us pray regularly
for those in authority. It is time to change that!"

The EA's public affairs department is in regular contact with MPs
from all parties and is soon to appoint parliamentary liaison
officers for the Welsh and Northern Ireland Assemblies and the
Scottish Parliament. It also operates a parliamentary consultancy
service for Christian groups and publishes Westminster Watch, a
monthly bulletin of news and Christian comment from Westminster
whenever Parliament is in session.

ENDS

For further information, contact:

Prior to 4th January:
Gavin Drake on 0836-645671 (+ 44 836 645671)

^From 4th January:

Gavin Drake, gdrake@eauk.org
0171 207 2117 or + 44 171 207 2117

or