From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Churches Recommit Themselves to The WCC

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 30 Dec 1998 20:08:13

98429

    Churches Recommit Themselves to The
    WCC at Worship Celebration

    by Jerry Van Marter
    Ecumenical News International

HARARE, Zimbabwe-The member churches of the World Council of Churches (WCC)
today  recommitted themselves to the ecumenical movement in a worship
service that attracted a standing room-only crowd in the worship tent on
the University of Zimbabwe campus, the site of the organization's eighth
assembly.

    Speculation that Orthodox representatives might boycott the
Recommitment Service to express their displeasure with the pace of reforms
in the WCC apparently failed to materialize. Officials of the Russian
Orthodox Church - one of the churches most critical of liberalism within
the WCC - were present at the service. Asked by ENI if all the WCC's
Orthodox churches were present at the service, a leading Orthodox official
said: "As far as I know."

    The service consisted mainly of hymns and prayers, though the highlight
was clearly the exchanging of crosses between heads of the member churches.
Ushers then fanned out around the tent distributing small wire crosses to
all the worshippers.

    Worshippers from each region of the world rose in turn and, after the
singing of a hymn native to the region, recited a prayer of thanksgiving.
Different parts of the liturgy were also led by
representatives from the different regions.

    The concluding commitment, which launches the WCC's second
half-century, states: "Because Christ has chosen us to be friends, because
Christ has appointed us to bear fruit that will last, because Christ has
commanded us to love one another, with God's help we are confident to say:
We intend to stay together. We respond to the prayer of Jesus Christ that
all may be one in order that the world may believe [John 17:21].  We are
restless to grow together in unity."