From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Colleges and Universities Are 'Best Value'

From NEWS <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 21 Jan 1999 20:50:57

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

January 21, 1999

ELCA COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES ARE 'BEST VALUE'
99-02-11-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Colleges and universities of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) rank among the best in the United
States, according to U.S. News and World Report's 1998 edition of
"America's Best Colleges."  When compared with other public and private
institutions, 25 of the ELCA's 28 colleges and universities are considered
to have high academic standards at affordable costs.
     Lutheran universities and colleges have "distinctive markers," said
Dr. Ryan LaHurd, president of Lenoir-Rhyne College, Hickory, N.C.
"Lutheran schools have a sense of vocation.  We believe that there is not
a separation between God's kingdom and the world.  The world is part of
God's working to bring people to God, so a vocation is part of one's
service.  We believe that any way you work in a legal occupation you have
a chance of serving and bringing the world closer to God.  I think that
these are the kinds of things that you get at a Lutheran college."
     Lenoir-Rhyne College is a four-year liberal arts institution.  About
1,600 students are enrolled in more than 40 undergraduate degree and
master's degree programs in the fields of business, counseling and
education.
     "One of the problems I think we have in our day is that people have
a sort of commodity view of education," said LaHurd.  "They think that
basically all colleges are the same and chosen on the basis of what is
closer to home, which has the best parking and costs the least.
     "I think if families started to think about education in its fullest
sense, and not in that very narrow sense that our culture tends to orient
them toward, they might come back to thinking of a Lutheran college as a
very important part of their children's education," LaHurd said.
     Leigh Chandler, a student at Lenoir-Rhyne and member of Good
Shepherd Lutheran Church, Columbia, S.C., said one of the main reasons he
chose Lenoir-Rhyne was for the "personal attention" between faculty and
students.
     "I wanted to be a name and not a number, "said Chandler.  "In other
large universities that is all you are.  I want professors to know me."
     "Lutheran colleges and universities have good reputations," said Dr.
Arne Selbyg, ELCA director for colleges and universities.  "What students
like about Lutheran institutions is the personal attention given by the
administration and faculty to the student.
     "Faculty members make themselves available to students experiencing
problems while growing up at a Lutheran school.  At other larger
institutions, faculty will focus on a particular field of study, such as
microbiology, and see that as their only goal, at best.  Lutheran
institutions are good at microbiology, but they also focus on the
student's experience beyond the classroom," he said.
     Selbyg added that there is an emphasis on all aspects of learning at
Lutheran institutions that allows for students to achieve academic
excellence while living in a supportive and healthy campus environment.
     While tuition costs at most public and private institutions have
increased in the last two decades, LaHurd said a Lutheran education "is
affordable but not for everyone.  Even the cheapest education is not
affordable for everybody.  Financial aid is a way that we help assist
students make the education affordable," LaHurd said.
College, Greenville, Pa., will reduce its tuition by 27 percent for new
students entering the college in the fall of 1999.
     "We want the public to know that we hear their concerns, and we're
doing something about it," said Dr. C. Carlyle Haaland, former president
of Thiel.  Our goal is to make Thiel's quality education affordable to all
students."  Haaland retired as president on Dec. 31, 1998.  Dr. Lance A.
Masters, El Cerrito, Calif., was appointed president Jan. 1.
     Thiel's tuition price will drop from $13,676 to $9,990, making it
"one of the most affordable liberal arts colleges in the nation," Haaland
said.
     The tuition plan will be introduced on an incremental basis
beginning with new students entering in the fall of 1999.  Current
students will be subject to the former tuition rate but will continue to
receive Thiel's grants as part of their financial aid packages.  Current
students who do not qualify for need-based financial aid will receive
special Thiel grants during this transition.
     "Because the economy is good, more people can afford to attend high
quality colleges and universities, and parents want to invest in their
child's future," said Selbyg. "New savings and/or wealth created by the
stock market can be used to help pay tuition.  In addition, more and more
financial aid opportunities are provided for students who cannot afford to
pay full price."

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html