From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Clarification

From NEWS <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 21 Jan 1999 16:15:18

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

January 21, 1999

CLARIFICATION
99-02-06-MR

[Editors: Please substitute the following for the opening paragraph of the
story previously issued under the same headline on Dec. 10, 1998.]

LUTHERANS DISCUSS THE FUTURE OF WORSHIP
98-43-244-MR

     ORLANDO, Fla. (ELCA) -- "I believe that much of our worship is like
the person in a [nationally televised sporting event] holding up John
3:16.  We want to invite people in and make them welcome," said Marty
Haugen, a liturgical composer from Eagan, Minn.  "I have even heard
worship described as 'a spiritual gas station where people get spiritually
tanked up for the week.'  What is wrong with this model is that it ignores
Jesus' call to discipleship.
     "Our worship style rather should be 'Welcome!  We're glad you're
here!'  We'll do anything to make you at home in our community.  And, by
the way, here's your cross.  God had it made up just for you,'" said
Haugen.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html