From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Earth Day Mailing

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 20 Jan 1999 13:33:03

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

Contact: Wendy S. McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227

6NCC1/20/99           FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC EARTH DAY MAILING ON CONSUMERISM GOES TO 85,000
CONGREGATIONS

 NEW YORK, Jan. 20 ---- A National Council of
Churches (NCC) mailing on consumerism, which encourages
people of faith to live more simply by reducing their
consumption of resources and manufactured goods, has been
sent to 85,000 congregations in preparation for Earth Day
(April 22, 1999).

 "For Christians, consumerism is a religious issue
for a number of reasons having to do both with justice
for the world's poor and justice for all creation," said
the Rev. Richard Killmer, Director of the NCC's
Environmental Justice Office.   "We in the United States
consume a disproportionate amount of the world's
resources while the poor of the world, including those in
the United States, consume less than they need. But human
beings did not create nor do we own the earth.  So we
need to use the resources of creation carefully to
witness that we care about creation and about justice and
fairness for all people."

"Consumerism is also important in terms of what it
does to us," Rev. Killmer added.  "When we define
ourselves by what we buy and by what we consume, this is
a very different idea of humanity than the one defined by
God and our faith.  Jesus taught us that our first task
is to seek God's kingdom."

Suggestions for ways to cut consumption include
giving gifts of time or skills instead of expensive
things for Christmas; saving energy in the home, and
choosing public transportation, walking or bicycling
instead of driving a car.

The 1999 Earth Day mailing includes:
  Two church bulletin inserts to be placed Sunday,
April 25, 1999, entitled "Salvation Through
Overconsumption?" and "Consumption and Compassion:
Ecology and Equity."
  Sermon notes on "Living Simply: Imperative Now,"
drawing on Matthew 6: 25-33 and describing
Christian simplicity as something which "enables
us to live lives of integrity" and "not a faddish
attempt to respond to the ecological crisis that
is threatening us now."
  Worship suggestions for the Sunday following Earth
Day (April 25, 1999).  Suggestions include
incorporating natural elements into the service;
planning to have youth assist as much as possible,
and using this Sunday as a time to bless pets.
Congregations are also encouraged to expand the
offerings section to include commitments of change
to be more ecologically responsible and letters to
Congress on issues like global warming.
  A resource list of materials on consumption and
environmental justice available from Environmental
Justice Resources, NCC, P.O. Box 968, Elkhart,
Indiana 46515-0968; 1-800-762-0968.  Simple living
web sites also are listed.
  The Environmental Justice Covenant Congregation
form, a tool through which the governing body of a
congregation makes a promise that its congregation
will be engaged in environ-mental ministries.  Two
pages of suggestions for implementing the covenant
are included.

 Copies of the Earth Day mailing are available for 50
cents.  Ask for EJ9935 at 800-762-0968.  The contents
will also be accessible on www.webofcreation.org

-end-
 -0-