From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bolivia: Abandoned Street Children Turn To Drugs

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 01 Jan 1999 02:44:10

December 31, 1998
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Bolivia: Abandoned Street Children Turn To Drugs
[98/38/04]

Sucre, Bolivia [APD/ADRA]  The economic realities of stark
poverty are forcing children out of their homes onto Bolivia's
city streets, reports ADRA Works, the quarterly publication of
the Adventist Development and Relief Agency, Silver Spring,
Maryland.  Drugs help them get through their dark days-or so
they think. Children sleep on the streets and steal to buy food.
They often turn to alcohol and drugs to ease their loneliness.
Enrique, a typical 11-year-old Bolivian boy, was one of these
street children.

"I slept on the streets, but I was always hungry and needed
to feed my addictions," Enrique says.  Eventually a lady took
him to an orphanage, but he ran away to live on the streets
again.  The police caught him and brought him to CERENID, a
homeless shelter and drug rehabilitation center for children.

Prior to living on the streets, Enrique lived with his
grandparents.  He was physically abused by his grandmother
and, after many beatings, ran away from home.

Enrique says, "I did not like CERENID at first.  I behaved
badly so they would kick me out, but they didn't."  As he felt
love and acceptance, Enrique's life changed.  He is now a
normal boy who loves soccer, enjoys swimming in rivers, and
has many friends.

CERENID, a Seventh-day Adventist operated centre, is
dedicated to saving and changing lives.  The staff includes a
psychologist who supervises each child's rehabilitation,
emphasising their educational, psychological, physical, and
moral well-being.