From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

An Experience to Change Her Life

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 04 Jan 1999 20:06:42

4-January-1999
98415

    An Experience to Change Her Life

    by Carol Fouke
    National Council of Churches News and Information Office

HARARE, Zimbabwe--Thelma Adair, former moderator of the General Assembly of
the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), had an experience in Zambia last month
that is set to change her way of life when she returns to the United
States.

    Adair was visiting Zambia before taking part in the World Council of
Churches (WCC) festival marking the end of the "Ecumenical Decade: Churches
in Solidarity with Women," and she gained a new sense of being a neighbor.

    "There was a bad storm, and teh family came with candles for me and to
make sure I was okay.  I would have let my guests sleep through it!  The
best they had, they offered.  When I go back home I have to re-examine the
casual manner in which I take other people."

    Another issue about family and being neighbors came from her visit to
an orphanage, she said.  Few government resources were available.  A huge
percentage of the national budget had to go to external debt payments.

    "We as Christians need to help our government and the IMF
(International Monetary Fund) to reflect on how they are asking these
countries to pay their debt," she said, speaking in support of the debt
cancellation campaign, which will be prominent on the agenda of the WCC's
eighth assembly here.