From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Churches Accused of Ignoring Violence Against Women

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 04 Jan 1999 20:07:18

98402

    Churches Accused of Ignoring or Condoning
    Violence Against Women

    by Stephen Brown
    Ecumenical News International

HARARE, Zimbabwe-Churches around the world are ignoring and even condoning
violence against women, a major global gathering of Christian women has
been told.

    During a special hearing held as part of a festival in Harare to mark
the conclusion of the Ecumenical Decade of Churches in Solidarity with
Women, women spoke publicly about the abuse and violence that they had
suffered, including within churches.  They told of sexual abuse by clergy,
of the unwillingness of churches to support women who had left violent
marriages, and of victimization and rejection by predominantly-male church
structures.

    The hearing, which took place on Nov. 28, was one of the first open
debates at an international ecumenical gathering about violence against
women.  The gathering is considering a series of recommendations to put to
the eighth assembly of the World Council of Churches, which launched the
Ecumenical Decade in 1988.  The WCC assembly opens here Dec. 3.

    The hearing, which wove together liturgy, worship, accounts of
suffering and of attempts to tackle the issue of violence, culminated in an
act of healing by Chung Hyun Kyung, a Korean who now teaches at Union
Theological Seminary, New York, intended to lead women from "crucifixion to
resurrection."  Drawing on Korea's "shaman tradition," a traditional form
of Korean spirituality which has now been taken over by Christian women in
Korea, the healing act combined music, drama and meditation.

    Opening the hearing, Irja Askola, a Finnish Lutheran woman working on
the women's desk of the Conference of European Churches in Geneva, and one
of the main organizers of the hearing, said that it had become "very
obvious" during the Ecumenical Decade that "violence against women in our
societies and in our churches" was a significant issue.

    "We know now that our churches, we as churches, have not only ignored
this issue, but have sometimes even sustained it by misusing the Bible and
the authority of the pulpit," Askola said.

    She referred to the results of a series of team visits to the WCC's
member churches to discuss the Ecumenical Decade.  Altogether 75 teams,
each composed of two men and two women, visited more than 300 churches and
650 women's groups around the world.  All the teams reported that violence
against women was a major challenge facing the churches.  According to a
document presented at the hearing, the teams also reported "the total
insensitivity of many church leaders to this concern."

    Askola told the gathering: "My hope and desire is that church leaders
getting together will condemn violence against women as a sin."

    During the hearing five women related their experiences of exclusion,
violence and abuse.  Olivia Juarez de Gonzalez, an indigenous woman from
Mexico, spoke of the violence suffered by indigenous women in Latin
America.  Ann Smith, an Anglican priest from Canada, said she had
been sexually abused as a child by her father, an Anglican priest.  In her
late teens and early 20s he forced her to join a fundamentalist cult which
subjected her to ritual abuse.   Ada Maria Isasi-Diaz, a theologian from
the United States, described the marginalization of women-centered
theologies and women theologians as a form of violence.

    Rebecca Alman, a Roman Catholic from Papua New Guinea, and now
coordinator of the Women's Crisis Center in Wewak, in the northeast of the
country, spoke of how, 22 years ago, she left her husband after suffering
six years of domestic violence, and started living with another man. Since
then she has not been able to receive holy communion as the Catholic Church
has not annulled her violent marriage.

        Susan Adams, from Aotearoa-New Zealand, spoke of institutional
violence towards women by male-dominated church structures even in churches
which declare a belief in gender equality, inclusiveness and openness to
the contribution of women.

    But as well as testimonies of suffering, there were also accounts of
attempts by churches to tackle the issue.

    Responding to the accounts of violence, the WCC's general secretary,
Konrad Raiser, a German Protestant theologian - and the only man on the
platform - said that they demonstrated that "our church needs healing, but
only a church that admits its sickness can be healed."

    He vowed "to challenge any attempts to cover up" violence against
women, saying that the "sickness of our churches feeds on complacency and
self-righteousness, and utterly misplaced efforts at self-justification,
especially by men.

    "The Ecumenical Decade has helped uncover these defensive strategies,
and its momentum must not be lost." Raiser said, adding that "violence is
an expression of male culture which for too long has been condoned by
churches."

    Speaking to ENI after the hearing, Askola said that the "silence has
been broken.  There's no way the ecumenical movement can ignore the issue."
Churches had to begin by recognizing that, by ignoring the fact of violence
against women "we have rejected a lot of the victims, but - even worse - we
have justified a lot of violence against women.

    "The first thing is to recognize, to admit, to do our own homework.
Only after that can we speak with a prophetic voice.  We cannot be a
prophetic voice until we have taken this first step."