From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"What's Globalization?" - WCC Assembly Participants

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 05 Jan 1999 12:04:20

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

NCC12/18/98       FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GLOBALIZATION: WCC ASSEMBLY PARTICIPANTS
DESCRIBE DIVINE, DIABOLICAL ASPECTS

 HARARE, Zimbabwe ---- "Globalization" - it's fast
becoming one of the popular "buzz words" of our day.  The
8th Assembly approved a statement on globalization, and many
speakers, including the WCC's moderator and general
secretary, made reference to it in plenary speeches.

 But what does it mean?  What are its implications for
us and for our churches?  Interviews with Assembly
participants revealed a wide range of definitions - some
pointing to globalization's potential to lift up, others to
its capacity to oppress.

 One thing is sure, globalization has implications for
all of us, for our dignity, for evangelism - even for how a
congregation calls a new minister or pays its electricity
bill.

 "There are a number of interpretations," began Phambili
ka Ntloko of the Church of God and Saints in Christ, South
Africa, whose ministry is with industrial workers.
"Globalization is a strategy of international capital to
create more markets for itself and to restructure the
relationships of production.

 "All companies are being pushed to be internationally
competitive, so they 'downsize,'" laying off workers, he
said.  Similarly, when state-owned companies such as
transport and telecommunications are privatized, they fire
workers "on the basis that the new owner will be
'efficient.'  Workers work longer hours at a time capital
needs them and when not needed they don't work."

 The church must respond holistically, Mr. Ntloko said.
"We must be the voice that says an alternative society is
possible, where there will be justice, equality, sharing and
dignity.  And we must minister to workers and understand
their needs and problems.
 "People, when they lose their job, sense that their
dignity as human beings is challenged," he said.  "Some go
to the extent of hiding the fact that they are no longer
working.  They go out carrying their bags as usual and come
back in the evening, because not working hurts their
dignity.  The church must restore that dignity.  The church
must be an anchor of hope in their hour of darkness."

 Mr. Ntloko's International Committee for Industrial
Mission offers such an anchor.  It runs job creation and
employment programs "so people can live on their own, start
a business and hope in life again."

 Rev. Kenichi Otsu, General Secretary, National Council
of Churches of Japan, said that while most discussion of
globalization centers on the economic aspects, "we want
people to be aware of the military aspect."

 For example, Japan - which according to its
Constitution has no Army but does have a civil defense force
- and the United States have signed a new security agreement
that commits Japan to support U.S. military action.  Japan
must open space for military exercises and Japan's private
sector - transportation, public facilities - also must
cooperate.  "The U.S. already uses our base in Okinawa," Mr.
Otsu said.  "Before it was under the United Nations'
framework.  Now it's a bilateral agreement."

 Rev. Dr. Kathryn T. Williams of the Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ), U.S.A., has "said for years that
there's no such thing as a United States economy.  It's a
global economy.  When Black Monday hit Wall Street, it also
hit Japan and London."

 Similarly, she tells her co-parishioners at First
Christian Church in Corpus Christi, Texas, "There's no
longer home or foreign, there's one world, we are the
stewards and we are responsible for the whole world and not
just the people of Corpus Christi.  You can't make decisions
for this congregation except in the context of the whole
inhabited world of God."

 For example, 25 years ago when Dr. Williams was
associate pastor of First Christian Church, the congregation
set the goal of spending 50 percent of its budget on its own
needs and programs and 50 percent on others.  "We got up to
42 percent," she said.

 More recently, she discovered that four or five months
into the year, the congregation had not yet sent money to
the denomination's basic mission finance.  "I was
horrified," she recalled.  "I went to the chair of the
Stewardship Committee and said, 'If this continues, I am
going to divide my tithe and send my portion of the money
directly.'"

 The chairperson responded, "But the light bills have to
be paid."  Dr. Williams retorted, "At my house we tithe
first and then we figure out how to pay the light bill."
Until the problem was resolved another four or five months
later, Dr. Williams wrote a check to the denomination's
mission body and put it in the offering plate each week
"with strict instructions to send it immediately."

 "Thinking globally" also affects "the way we call the
minister," Dr. Williams said.  "Ask the candidates, 'Do you
believe in the mission of the whole church?'  Some people
say, 'We have so much to do here.'  But Jesus said, 'Go into
all the world - Jerusalem, Samaria, to the ends of the
earth.'  You have to do them all at the same time.

 "Every decision must be made in the context of the
whole church and the whole world," she said.  "When it's
easy to do that, it's one thing.  The crisis is the test of
the effectiveness of an organization and of how seriously we
believe."

 Abigail Damasane, Family of God Church, Zimbabwe, spoke
of the difficulties of taking advantage of the benefits of
globalization.  She said, "We have been independent for only
18 years.  Some of these international terms are 'new from
the box' for us.  Globally, we are trying to walk before we
have crawled, in order to catch up and to be on the global
wavelength."

 A Harare taxi driver served as a case in point.  Since
his father and older brother died, he has become responsible
for supporting his mother and two younger brothers, along
with his wife and their two children.  "I don't know how we
are surviving," he said, describing his struggle to earn the
about U.S.$240 a month needed.  A U.S.$1,200 roundtrip air
ticket to the United States is virtually unthinkable, he
said.

 As for globalization, "it's just a word," he said.
"I'm not feeling any advantage."  For globalization to work,
he speculated, it would take one currency, one economy, one
president.  Noting that it now costs about 63 Zimbabwean
dollars to purchase one British Pound, he said, "I don't
think the British want to give up 62/63rds of the value of
their currency."

 The Rev. Lala Biasima, a pastor of the Church of Christ
in Congo and associate general secretary of the CCC's
Department of Women and the Family, expressed stronger
misgivings.  She said, "We feel very uneasy when we hear
about globalization.  Part of the world is very powerful and
the rest weak.  The strong will do what they want regardless
of the effect on the poor."

 The challenge, she said, is to "make sure everyone
benefits in some way, and to  redistribute the resources
rather than widen the gap between rich and poor."

 Assembly participants who were interviewed agreed that
globalization is here to stay, and that the church "must
fight against the bad side of globalization," said Bishop
Hans Gerny of the Old Catholic Church in Switzerland.  "We
should not be too adapted to society."

 "We can look at it and see how big financial powers can
help the weaker ones," said the Rev. Oka Fau'olo,
Congregational Christian Church in Samoa.  "They want to
make money - (that's alright) as long as they don't take too
much and as long as we have good mutual understanding and
negotiation."

 Globalization also has good sides, several people said.
"Would the WCC have met in Harare in 1948?," Bishop Gerny
asked.  "People can have more contact, can help in areas
where they could not help before. Christ says, 'Go and make
disciples of all nations.'  It's a challenge to bring all
nations the Gospel of liberation.  We can use new tools like
the Internet to share the Gospel in word and deed, using the
new tools that link us globally."

 Anglican Archbishop Walter Makhulu from Botswana, in a
debt hearing, distinguished between "human" and "divine"
globalization. He said the former "insists on privatization,
currency devaluation, reduction of government subsidies and
trade deregulation."

 "We must agitate for the cancellation of debt," he
said.  "Then we will rediscover the divine globalization of
community, generosity, sharing and mutual caring."

 Rev. Dr. Kwasi Aboagye-Mensah, International Fellowship
of Evangelical Mission Theologians, who will serve as
General Secretary of the Christian Council of Ghana
beginning January 1999, took a positive, "visioning"
approach, along the lines of divine globalization.

 "My understanding is a linking of people of the world
together in kind of a global village where we will become
very much interconnected both in fulfillment of our needs as
well as sharing of the world's resources," he said.  "As a
Christian I see globalization as one of the many things in
the Scriptures where God is seeking to bring all nations
together in Christ through the enabling presence of the Holy
Spirit.

 "Through technology I'm linked to what's happening far
and near," Rev. Aboagye-Mensah said.  "I don't even have to
go out of my house to buy stamps.  In a visionary form it
will bring all nations together and have one language in a
metaphorical sense.  So there's not the fear of you
destroying me but the anticipation of how you can make me
whole.  So that the meeting is much more positive."

For More Information: http://www.wcc-coe.org or
http://www.ncccusa.org

-end-
 -0-