From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Tutu Stresses Justice, Mercy, Humility in Remarks to Students

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 13 Jan 1999 21:36:56

99017

    Tutu Stresses Justice, Mercy,
    Humility in Remarks to Students

    by United Methodist News Service

RIDGECREST, N.C.-An authentic religious life hinges on walking humbly with
God, doing justice and loving mercy, Archbishop Desmond Tutu told more than
1,300 young people attending a year-end ecumenical gathering.

    The South African Nobel laureate addressed students, campus ministers
and chaplains from six denominations gathered for Celebrate III, held Dec.
30-Jan. 3 at a Southern Baptist retreat center in the western North
Carolina mountains near Montreat.  At least 300 Presbyterian students from
colleges and universities across the country were in attendance.

    Tutu, an Anglican cleric and the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in
1984 for his role in bringing a relatively non-violent end to apartheid in
South Africa, is a visiting professor of theology at Candler School of
Theology in Atlanta.

    He centered his message around the biblical foundation for the four-day
gathering, Micah 6:8, which asks: "What does the Lord require of you?"

    Micah stated that a relationship with God depends on performing acts of
justice, mercy and humility.  But Tutu suggested a reversal in order - to
make walking humbly with God the first prerequisite for an authentic
religious existence.

    "The true Christian life is impossible unless at its heart beats an
engaged spirituality," he said.

    Such an "engaged sprituality" will not provide insulation against the
harsh realities of life," Tutu said, but, it will give people sensitivity
to God, who will prepare them to work for God among "the least of these."

    The archbishop told the students that they, like God, must be among
those who are hurting, have been diminished and dehumanized.  "For what we
do to rehabilitate them, to serve them, we are doing as to our Lord
himself," he said.

    Tutu cited two commandments that give more meaning to Micah 6:8: "Love
God and love neighbor."  These are two sides of one coin, he said:  "One on
its own is not legal tender.  It can't be the coin.  You need both together
simultaneously."

    The biblical story of Jesus feeding the 5,000 not only teaches that
Christians should share their resources, but it also emphasizes that how
God needs human partners for His work, the archbishop said.

    "We, without God, cannot; God, without us, will not," Tutu said,
quoting St. Augustine of Hippo.  "The omnipotent becomes impotent and weak;
the infinite becomes the restrained, the limited, waiting for our fish, our
bread, before God can accomplish whatever miracle God would want to
perform."

    God often relies on young people to be his friends and workers, Tutu
said.  He repeated God's words to Jeremiah: "Before I formed you in the
womb, I knew you."  None of the students was created by accident, he
insisted.  "You are an indispensable part of God's plan.  No one else.  Not
even your identical twin, can love God and serve God as only you can.  You
are unique."

    God puts limits on His omnipotence to ensure that there is always
collaboration between human beings and the divine, Tutu said.  "God ever
waits on God's human partners to provide their particular bread and fish to
enable God to do God's work, to perform God's miracles," he said

    Young people from six continents participated in the Celebrate event,
which is held every four years.  During small-group sessions, workshops and
other meetings, they discussed issues on their campuses and in the world,
and how their faith prepares them to respond.  The students also explored
where God is leading them as the new millenium approaches.

    Tutu expressed his high regard for the activism of young people, and
said he felt privileged to speak to this gathering.  He also thanked the
youngsters for their help in eradicating apartheid in South Africa.

    During the 1980s, anti-apartheid protesters in South Africa called upon
the world community to impose sanctions on government. U.S. president
Ronald Reagan opposed sanctions, Tutu said, and "had a policy of so-called
constructive engagement."

    On campuses across America - as well as in churches such as the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) - students engaged in demonstrations to force
institutions to divest investments in South Africa.  Tutu said they helped
change the moral climate in the United States, to such an extent that
Congress eventually passed anti-apartheid legislation, imposing sanctions
and overriding a Reagan veto.

    "So we owe a lot to young people," he said.  "Our victory in South
Africa was made possible by such dedication and support.  Thank you.  Thank
you.  Thank you."

    The Celebrate conference was sponsored by the Council for Ecumenical
Student Christian Ministry, a partnership of students and national
denominational staff from the United Methodist Church, the Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ), the Episcopal Church, the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and the United Church
of Christ.  Students from the Roman Catholic Church also participated.

    The Council, created in 1987, is an affiliate movement of the World
Student Christian Federation, which unites student Christian organizations
from more than 80 countries.