From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jewish, Christian Clergy Urge Censure Option

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 07 Jan 1999 14:43:41

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact NCC News: 212-870-2252
Email: news@ncccusa.org; Web: http://www.ncccusa.org

2NCC1/6/99        FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JEWISH, CHRISTIAN CLERGY WRITE SENATE URGING CENSURE
Religious Leaders Call for Swift Process that Leaves
President in Office

NEW YORK, Jan. 6 ---- A group of American religious
leaders representing a range of Jewish and Christian clergy
have jointly signed and delivered a letter to the U.S.
Senate urging it to censure President Clinton but not to
embark on a trial that could result in his removal from
office.

Leaders of the Central Conference of American Rabbis,
which represents the nation's Reform Jewish rabbis, and the
Rabbinical Assembly, the major Conservative Jewish
rabbinical organization, signed the one-page letter.  They
were joined by the President and General Secretary of the
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.,
the nation's leading ecumenical organization with 35
Protestant and Orthodox member denominations.

The letter implored the Senate to ".act for the good of
the nation as a whole [and]..not embark upon an exhausting,
debilitating trial that could..have deleterious
international consequences and further add to the
divisiveness in our country."

The letter explained, "Our shared religious traditions
require us all to be mindful of punishment with penitence,
and healing with compassion.  In this spirit, we ask that
the Senate not thwart the indicated will of a great majority
of American citizens who understand the wrongs of the
President's actions, but do not believe there has been a
subversion of our government."

Rabbi Richard N. Levy, President of the Central
Conference of American Rabbis, who helped draft the letter,
said: "Issues of wrongdoing such as President Clinton's
clearly have religious implications, as does the nature of
leadership.  It is imperative that religious figures be
heard in these discussions.  Based on our understandings of
the diverse traditions of the various movements of Judaism
and Christianity, we together urge the senate to censure the
President so that the people are not punished for his
wrong."

The letter from the religious leaders was sent to the
Senate Rules Committee, as well as to each U.S. Senator. The
full text of the letter follows.

January 6, 1999

A Plea to the Senate of the United States by National
Religious Leaders
on the President's Impeachment Trial

As the United States Senate considers how to act on the
articles of impeachment of the President received from the
House of Representatives, we, leaders of national Jewish and
Protestant religious organizations, urge the Senate to act
for the good of the nation as a whole.  While affirming the
obligation to uphold the rule of law, we urge you to find a
way to censure the President for his wrongdoing but not to
embark upon an exhausting, debilitating trial that could
drive him from office, have deleterious international
consequences and further add to the divisiveness in our
country.

We can learn from biblical precedent that when biblical
figures failed, they were punished for their wrong doings,
but the people were not deprived of their leadership.
President Clinton has sinned by his own admission.  Our
shared religious traditions require us all to be mindful of
punishment with penitence, and healing with compassion.  In
this spirit, we ask that the Senate not thwart the indicated
will of a great majority of American citizens who understand
the wrongs of the President's actions, but do not believe
there has been a subversion of our government.  To involve
both Houses of Congress and the Chief Justice in a prolonged
trial will punish all Americans who depend on Government to
better their lot in life and ensure their access to justice
and equity.

With God's help, may you who are our elected representatives
overcome anger and partisanship, and lead us with wisdom and
perspective.  Censure the President, yes, and lift us to a
higher way, so that as a united people, we may pursue a path
of justice, compassion and healing.

Sincerely,
Bishop Craig B. Anderson
President, National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
USA

Reverend Dr. Joan Brown Campbell
General Secretary, National Council of the Churches of
Christ in the USA

Rabbi Seymour L. Essrog
President, The Rabbinical Assembly

Rabbi Charles A. Kroloff
Vice President, Central Conference of American Rabbis

Rabbi Vernon H. Kurtz
Vice President, The Rabbinical Assembly

Rabbi Richard N. Levy
President, Central Conference of American Rabbis

Rabbi Paul J. Menitoff
Executive Vice President, Central Conference of American
Rabbis

Rabbi Joel H. Meyers
Executive Vice President, The Rabbinical Assembly
 -0-