From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Letter to President Clinton about Cuba

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 08 Jan 1999 11:10:23

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

Contact: Wendy McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227

4NCC1/8/99   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

IN LETTER TO PRESIDENT CLINTON, NCC GENERAL SECRETARY
WELCOMES OPENING TO CUBA BUT REGRETS REJECTION OF BI-
PARTISAN COMMISSION

 NEW YORK, Jan. 8 ---- In a letter to President
Clinton, the Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell, General
Secretary of the National Council of Churches, welcomed
this week's new opening toward Cuba but expressed regret
that the United States government rejected a Senator's
recommendation to create a bi-partisan commission.

 While welcoming "the new opening toward Cuba
announced by your government on January 5, 1999," the
letter states, "we do not feel that these measures are
sufficient to resolve the conflict that has divided the
two nations over the last forty years."  The letter goes
on to say that "the government of the United States has
missed a historic opportunity by rejecting the
recommendations of Senator John W. Warner to create a bi-
partisan commission" which "could have carried out a
fresh review of a policy that has been demonstrated to be
ineffective for the past thirty-seven years."

The letter also emphasizes the role of the Cuban
churches in constructing and strengthening civil society
in Cuba.

 Over the past six years, the NCC - through its
Church World Service ministry - has sent more than 40
shipments of food, medicines, medical equipment, school
supplies and other goods to Cuba with a market value of
more than $10 million.  CWS assistance is targeted to the
most vulnerable members of Cuban society - women,
children and the elderly.

 The NCC also called repeatedly for the normalization
of relations between the U.S. and Cuba, including a
lifting of the U.S. embargo against Cuba.

 The full text of the January 6 letter follows.

January 6, 1999

The Honorable William J. Clinton
President of the United States of America
The White House

Dear Mr. President:

The National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
(NCCCUSA) welcomes the new opening toward Cuba announced
by your government on January 5, 1999.

On several occasions, the NCCCUSA has reiterated -both
inside and outside of Cuba- the need to strengthen the
civil society in that country.  We continue to emphasize
the role of the Cuban Churches in constructing that new
society.  We wish to affirm Mr. President, that the
positive change in the space for the Churches was
obtained through dialogue with the Cuban government.

Nevertheless, we do not feel that these measures are
sufficient to resolve the conflict that has divided the
two nations over the last forty years.  We feel that the
government of the United States has missed a historic
opportunity by rejecting the recommendations of Senator
John W. Warner to create a bi-partisan commission.  This
commission could have carried out a fresh review of a
policy that has been demonstrated to be ineffective for
the past thirty-seven years.  This proposal is not only
supported by both parties, but by broad sectors of the
civil society in the United States, of which the Church
is a part.

We leave you with assurances Mr. President, that the
expression of these concerns is guided by our hope to
find paths of justice and peace that will lead to
reconciliation between the people of both countries.  We
pray that one day this hope will become a reality.

      Grace and Peace

      The Rev. Dr. Joan Brown
Campbell
      General Secretary