From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commentary: Behind every issue is a person

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 12 Jan 1999 13:00:47

Jan. 12, 1999        Contact: Tim Tanton*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
10-21-71BP{016}

NOTE: A photograph of Bishop Kenneth Carder is available.

By Bishop Kenneth L. Carder*

It was a hostile telephone call from an anonymous person. She had read a
statement of  my opposition to capital punishment. She was very angry with
me.

An argument ensued with both of us hurling Bible quotations and other
"facts" to bolster our positions. We both were out to win the argument on an
important issue.

Suddenly, she threw a zinger that changed the conversation.

She said with great emotion, "Well, you would feel different if someone
murdered your child."

It was evident that the issue was no mere abstraction to her. On the other
end of the telephone line was no longer an issue but  a person in grief and
pain.

I responded, "Obviously someone you love very much has been murdered.
Although I have had  two friends murdered, I can only imagine what it would
be like to have someone murder my child."

The flood gates opened, and out poured the tragic story of the brutal murder
of her daughter and the powerful emotions of a grieving mother.

The grief-stricken mother's story did not change my position on capital
punishment, but it did affect the way I discussed the issue with her. She
did not need an argument; she needed someone to take her pain seriously. Our
discussion became person-centered rather than issue-centered. Only when
concern for the person took priority over the correctness of an argument did
anything helpful happen.

Many issues claim the attention of the church -- doctrinal integrity,
homosexuality, authority of Scripture, styles of worship, role and character
of church leadership, the appointive system, racism, etc. Church
publications, letters, the Internet, speeches and sermons are filled with
arguments on all sides of the issues. Efforts to win the arguments abound,
and people with opposing positions plot their strategies and flex their
political and financial muscles.

Perhaps what we all need to do is hold the arguments until we have uncovered
the pain beneath the issues. Unless we enter the pain and suffering of the
people behind the issues, we may win the argument and lose the Gospel.

The Gospel is a person, not an abstract argument. That person, Jesus Christ,
confronts the issues of our sin and suffering by entering our guilt and pain
and death. He extends an outstretched, pierced hand of forgiveness and love.
Self-giving love extended to persons behind the issues is more
life-transforming than our arguments.

# # #

*Carder is bishop of the United Methodist Church's Nashville Area, which
includes the Tennessee and Memphis annual conferences. This commentary
appeared first as a column in the weekly newspapers of those two
conferences.

Commentaries provided by United Methodist News Service do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of UMNS or the United Methodist Church.

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at
http://www.umc.org/umns/