From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Children's Initiative Team Begins its Work

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@ELCA.ORG>
Date 14 Jan 1999 07:40:27

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

January 13, 1999

ELCA CHILDREN'S INITIATIVE TEAM BEGINS ITS WORK
99-01-03-BM*

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's (ELCA)
leadership team members for the "Help the Children" Initiative began the
task of affirming and guiding communities of faith as they are called to
weave a safety net for children, their families and care givers.
     "The social upheavals of our time and the growing gap between the
rich and poor have been especially damaging to the lives of children and
families," said the Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of the ELCA.
"As we prepare for the new millennium we must assure the youngest and most
vulnerable members of our world that they have a future."
     "It is the 11th hour for many children whose lives are marked with
hopelessness, homelessness, hunger and helplessness," said leadership team
coordinator, Terry L. Bowes, Longmont, Colo.  "So many children, so little
time."
     The goal of the Initiative is for each of the ELCA's 11,000
congregations to declare itself a "safe haven" for children.  To do this,
congregations must commit to creating a gospel-centered, faith-based
teaching/learning environment of hospitality that welcomes all children and
their families/care givers, as well as creating a
community free from violence, advocating for policies of justice for
children's issues, using resources to provide a sanctuary for children for
extended care hours, and opening schools as islands of hope.
     One way to achieve the "safe haven" goal is through development of
the "Safe Haven for Children" resource that guides congregations as they
explore ways they make or renew their commitment to be safe havens for
children.
     The resource, distributed to ELCA congregations in December, includes
action steps for creating a safe haven for children, a litany of
commitment, a Bible study for adults, an intergenerational activity, a
suggested congregational resolution and a covenant that will establish the
congregation as an ELCA safe haven congregation.
     About 10,000 additional copies of the resource have been distributed.
It has been translated into Spanish and distributed to Spanish-speaking
congregations.
     The leadership team also expects to model a safe haven at both the
1999 Churchwide Assembly and at the Women of the ELCA Triennial Convention
by providing child care for about 50 children from ages birth to 12 years.
The team plans to encourage the ELCA's 65 synod assemblies to pass
resolutions to be "Synodical Safe Havens for Children," to recognize safe
haven congregations and synods, to gather together a children's council,
and to share stories of safe haven activities in congregations and in
synods.
     Reflecting on the tasks ahead, Bowes said, "We go about our work task
by task, project by project, meeting by meeting, deadline by deadline,
person by person, child by child, because 'children are a heritage from the
Lord, and the fruit of the womb is a gift' (Psalm 127:3)."

     *Barbara A. Myers is director of communication for the ELCA's Lower
Susquehanna Synod.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director 1-773-380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html