From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ecunet to Unveil New Online System May 1

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@ELCA.ORG>
Date 15 Jan 1999 08:42:20

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

January 15, 1999

ECUNET TO UNVEIL NEW ONLINE SYSTEM MAY 1
99-01-05-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Members of LutherLink, the online electronic mail
and conferencing system of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA), will soon be able to use an updated version of their online system
that offers multiple access methods and reduced user fees.
     Ecunet, the organization that encompasses LutherLink and the
integrated online services of 21 other faith groups, will launch a new
version of its online system May 1, said David Pozzi-Johnson, president of
the Ecunet board of directors.  He is also director for information
technology, World Council of Churches, Geneva, Switzerland.
     The new version will enable Ecunet to accommodate thousands more
members and eliminate system overloads.
     "The LutherLink section of Ecunet provides an indispensable Internet
connection for ELCA leaders," said the Rev. Eric C. Shafer, director of the
ELCA Department for Communication.
     "We look forward to the new Ecunet with its increased capacity,
reliability and gifts for storytelling in our ELCA community and outreach
with the gospel," Shafer added.
     Easy access and simplicity has made the system popular with clergy
and lay members who are able to stay connected electronically with each
other and with denominational leaders throughout the world, he said.
     Members can transmit personal messages or join in a multitude of
online "meetings," where they can share their views on a variety of
specific faith-related subjects.
     Nearly 15 years old, the popularity of Ecunet has led to so many
members  the system has outgrown its technical capacity.
     To address the problem, Ecunet's interfaith board of directors
entered into a partnership with OnePlace, LLC, of Greensboro, N.C., to
create a new and improved operating system. The new system is expected to
begin testing in March and will be in full operation by May.
     It will cost members an annual fee of $28.95.  Ecunet will be
accessible by direct dial, a web browser or Internet mail.  It will also
allow continued support for members without Internet-capable equipment,
Pozzi-Johnson said.
     "I'd welcome the new Ecunet because the old Ecunet had outgrown
itself," said the Rev. Charles M. "Chuck" Austin, Christ Lutheran Church,
Ridgefield Park, N.J.  Austin is among those who has been using Ecunet and
LutherLink almost since its inception.
     "For me, there are two key things in Ecunet," Austin said. "One is
the ability for anyone to start, join or leave meetings on any topic.  The
other key factor is the contact it gives me with church people of various
persuasions and interests."
     Financial support from the ELCA, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and the
worldwide Anglican community have helped make possible the transition to
the new system.  Other denominational networks also provided support and
expertise.
     Lutheran Brotherhood, a fraternal benefits society based in
Minneapolis, provided a $30,000 grant to help pay development and
transition costs for the new system.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director 1-773-380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html