From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church Has Given a Record $1.1 Million For Hurricane Mitch Relief

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 21 Jan 1999 20:05:58

99026

    Disaster Officials Say Church Has Given a Record
    $1.1 Million For Hurricane Mitch Relief

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Giving for the victims of Hurricane Mitch through the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) passed the $1.1 million mark just two months
into the campaign - a record response for an international disaster.

    To date, $928,500 of the money has been spent, according to Susan Ryan,
coordinator of the denomination's disaster network.

    Some has gone for the hiring of additional staff to do rehabilitation
work in ecumenical agencies in Nicaragua and Honduras, so that other
ministries are not interrupted. Some has been used to buy vehicles to
transport workers and materials into heavily flooded areas. PC(USA) dollars
also have supported ecumenical shipments of food, blankets and other
supplies to Central America.

    Ryan said 400 work teams are being supported jointly by PC(USA) and
Church World Service (CWS), the relief arm of the National Council of
Churches (NCC). She said the church will send teams directly to flooded
areas targeted for help by the Evangelical Presbyterian Church of
Guatemala. At least two years' worth of rebuilding remains to be done, she
said.

    Hurricane Mitch stalled over Central America last fall, killing more
than 10,000 people and destroying the homes of more than a million. It is
not yet known with certainty how many people disappeared in the rains that
covered entire towns with water, mud and rock.

    "This isn't going to end at a million," said Rev. Dan Rift, associate
director of Global Service and Witness, an arm of the Worldwide Ministries
Division. "We have a million accounted for, and there are still checks
upstairs. This is the most rapid response ... for any international crisis
since the Ethiopian (famine) crisis in the mid-1980s."

    Denominational disaster officials attribute the record response to
massive media attention, strong U.S. ties to Nicaragua and Honduras dating
back to the 1980s, and the development of quicker ways to get money into
the disaster network.

    "We've got a significant number of mission workers in those regions,
with substantial mailing lists," Ryan said. "I believe this international
disaster [felt] almost the same as a U.S. disaster ... to them."

    Rift agreed: "There is just such high connection with that region
[within the church]. I talked with more people in this crisis who said, `I
was in this community,' or `This person I know lives there and I wonder how
they are.' By far, that is the biggest reason."

    The PC(USA) now accepts Visa or MasterCard donations over PresbyTel
lines (1-800-872-3283). Ryan said many congregations took up offerings and
sent checks directly to the disaster network. "Very early on, then, we were
able to send generously to our partners," he said.

    The disaster network also maintains a web site that posts both needs
and work opportunities, at http://www.pcusa.org/pda.

    "My experience is that giving for Hurricane Mitch will continue," Rift
told the Presbyterian News Service. "We're still processing gifts that come
at the end of the year. We've not closed the book on receipts. We've got
open opportunities for people to be involved in rebuilding."

    Presbyterian giving for disaster relief historically has been higher
for U.S. disasters. Givers sent $3 million for recovery from Hurricane
Andrew and from the Midwest flooding.

    The account number for Tropical Storm Relief is #9-2000139.