From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Hosts Multicultural Writers' Workshop

From NEWS <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 29 Jan 1999 10:43:52

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

January 29, 1999

ELCA HOSTS MULTICULTURAL WRITERS' WORKSHOP
99-03-15-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
is taking steps to increase diversity in its resources, Bible studies and
devotional materials. One way to meet that effort is through the ELCA
Multicultural Writers' Workshop, designed to introduce experienced writers
to the range of opportunities for ELCA publications.  About 20 Lutheran
writers attended the workshop here Jan. 14-17.
     Review groups from the ELCA's African American, American
Indian/Alaska Native, Arab and Middle Eastern, Asian and Latino
communities selected writers to attend the workshop.
     "The participants have distinctive voices -- voices that have been
nurtured and shaped by their faith and their particular culture," said
Elizabeth M. Hunter, editor of Seeds for the Parish, a resource paper for
ELCA congregation leaders produced by the ELCA's Department for
Communication.
     "Their voices will greatly enrich the ministry of the ELCA by
reaching out to people who previously may have felt that our church could
not speak to them, and by weaving the rest of us together in the awareness
that, regardless of race or culture, the love of Christ makes us one
people," Hunter said.
     The annual four-day event gave participants an opportunity to
identify audiences and sharpen writing skills for Bible studies,
devotional materials, curricula and feature news articles.  The workshop
also provided tips on specific writing techniques and editing copy.
     Participants met with editors who produce ELCA publications, videos
and curricula at the 1999 Writer's Fair, a special component of the
workshop.
     "In order to call yourself a writer, you must write every day," said
P.K. McCary, a member of Augustana Lutheran Church, Houston.  "You must
write letters to your children, letters that you know will exist long
after you are gone.  One can write to elders, editors, members of the U.S.
Congress and letters to oneself."  McCary was a workshop speaker.
     McCary is a storyteller and author of "The Black Bible Chronicles:
^From Genesis to the Promised Land" and "Rapping with Jesus."  She said her
purpose for writing is to introduce others "to a God that already knows
and loves them."
     "I wrote 'The Black Bible Chronicles' for African American youth,"
McCary said.  "They were my motivation, even though I found that all
children are hungry for the word any way they can get it.  The book
crossed cultural lines.  Black kids liked it, as well as Latino, White and
Asian kids.  It is wonderful to talk to kids who are enthusiastic about
reading the Bible in a 'hip-hop' way."
     "Language is my life," said Luis Rodriguez, Chicago.  "The
conveyance of ideas, sentiments, expressions -- of values and curiosities
-- requires a strong commitment to words, to their flavor and
significance."  Rodriguez was the keynote presenter.
     A poet and journalist, Rodriguez is founder and director of Tia
Chucha Press, a Chicago-based poetry publishing company, and founder of
"Youth Struggling for Survival," an organization that offers alternatives
to gangs for youth in Chicago.  He has visited juvenile facilities,
prisons, public schools, community centers and youth programs throughout
the United States.
     "Everyone has a voice and a vocation," he said.  "It is important
for children to understand that.  Kids are on a spiritual quest --
something deeper than what is offered in gang life.
     "Children living in the barrio are expected to fail in society.
Those children who persevere are told, 'You are the exception.  You are
special.'  We cannot accept that way of thinking.  All children are
intelligent.  Kids involved with gangs are intelligent and have the
ability to write poetry.  Society must show our children that they can
lead a healthy life."
     "The work of the 18 workshop participants will have an impact far
beyond their numbers," said Rosemary Dyson, project manager for the
Multicultural Writers' Workshop.  "These writers will add richness and
diversity to ELCA resources."  Dyson is director of multicultural
education in the ELCA's Commission for Multicultural Ministries.
     The workshop is sponsored by Augsburg Fortress Publishers, the
ELCA's Commission for Multicultural Ministries, Department for
Communication, Division for Congregational Ministries, The Lutheran
magazine and Women of the ELCA.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html