From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA and LCMS Youth Encourage Dialogue Between Church Bodies

From NEWS <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 29 Jan 1999 14:28:35

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

January 29, 1999
BODIES

ELCA AND LCMS YOUTH ENCOURAGE DIALOGUE BETWEEN CHURCH BODIES
99-03-16-BW

     ASHEVILLE, N.C. (ELCA)-- More than 300 young Lutherans passed a
resolution "to affirm the Lutheran Student Movement-USA's  (LSM) support
of both the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and Lutheran
Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) and to encourage further dialogue between the
ELCA and LCMS on how greater ecclesiastical unity might be achieved."
     The youth participated in a national ecumenical christian student
gathering here Dec. 30-Jan 3.  The gathering, "Back 2 Faith: Faithful
Living in a New Millennium," brought together more than 1,300 students
from church, private and state colleges and universities across the United
States for five days of worship, Bible study, workshops, celebrations and
small group sessions.
     LSM-USA met separately in convention to vote on resolutions and to
elect officers.
     The resolution was proposed in response to an LCMS convention action
which questioned ecumenical proposals approved by the ELCA's 1997
Churchwide Assembly and called them "very troubling decisions."
     The Assembly voted to enter into a relationship of  "full communion"
with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Reformed Church in America and
United Church of Christ.
     "LSM-USA recognizes the ELCA and LCMS as true expressions of the
Lutheran reforming tradition in the church catholic," said the resolution.
     The resolution "urges the ELCA and LCMS to engage in discussion upon
how greater ecclesiastical unity might be achieved."
     Copies of the resolution will be forwarded to the Rev. H. George
Anderson, presiding bishop of the ELCA and the Rev. A.L. Barry, LCMS
president.
     The convention elected Kelly Schuerman, Madison, S. D., a student at
Dakota State University as LSM-USA president.
     "I've been involved with LSM-USA since the fall of 1994 and have
served on many local and regional councils. I had thought about running
for national president while serving as the Tri-Otas Region Representative
for 1998.  I'm excited about the position and serving as national
president of the organization that has done so much for me," Schuerman
said.
     " LSM has always been an excellent way for students to share their
faith with one another, but I also think that LSM can be a medium for
students to become leaders, not only in the church, but in society," he
said.
     "Past councils have made a commitment to the financial future of LSM
to ensure that it will be around for generations to come, and now is the
time to build leadership development so that those generations have
leaders and can become leaders.  The 1999 National Council will  focus on
rebuilding the Leadership Development Workshop program to go along with
the LSM Endowment Fund in solidifying the future of our ministry," said
Schuerman.
     Russell Peek, Rock Hill, S.C., a student at Winthrop University,
Rock Hill, S.C., was elected secretary; and Marcos de Jesus, University of
Wisconsin, Milwaukee, was elected secretary for international and
multicultural concerns.
     The Rev. Christopher S. Heavner, campus pastor at Clemson
University, Clemson, S.C., was presented with the LSM-USA's Honorary
Lifetime Member award.  Heavner served as the National Council LSM-USA's
first secretary for international concerns (1977-78).  He served as LSM
national staff person (1978-79), an intern and traveling secretary in the
'70s and advisor to the organization's Gulf-Atlantic Region (1994-95).
Heavner serves as campus ministry advisor to the Lutheran Student
Movement.
     "I grew up about 65 miles from this place; it was a wonderful place
to grow up, but it was a very isolated place, a very rural place.  It was
Lutheran Student Movement that enabled me to see the world that I would
not have seen otherwise.  I am eternally thankful for the opportunity that
God gave me, through this organization, to see the world," Heavner said.
     LSM-USA presented the Rev. Jayne Thompson, campus pastor at Kansas
State University, Manhattan, with the Hess Pearson Award.  This award is
given annually to a campus minister "who shows exemplary dedication and
service to the Lutheran Student Movement."
     The award is named in memory of two Lutheran students who died in an
automobile accident on their way to an LSM retreat in 1985.
     Eleven of the 12 regions that make up LSM-USA held elections to
choose regional representation.  Elected to the LSM-USA National Council
were:

Emily Moyer         University of Virginia             Charlottesville, Va.
Stephanie Lorenz    Wayne State College                Wayne, Neb.
Stefanie West       Florida State University           Tallahassee, Fl.
Amy Townshend       Miami University                   Oxford, Ohio
Heather Hoffman     Kutztown University                Kutztown, Pa.
Jeff Kane           Saint Anselm College               Manchester, N.H.
Sandra Hansen       Wartburg College                   Waverly, Iowa
Jenny Kleene        Washington State University        Pullman, Wash.
Cindy Ham           California Lutheran University     Thousand Oaks, Calif.
John Salnaitis      University of Northern Colorado    Greeley, Colo.
Heather Overom      University of Minnesota            Twin Cities

     LSM-USA is a Pan-Lutheran independent organization that is comprised
of  young adults from colleges and universities across the United States.
Each year the ELCA's Division for Higher Education and Schools Department
for Campus Ministry supports a student intern position to assist the
efforts of the national Lutheran Student Movement.
     "Each of the persons who have been selected for this position has
become a leader in the church.  Several have gone on to various vocations,
such as journalism and medicine, callings through which they live out
their faith while also participating as lay leaders in the building up and
outreach of congregations," according to a Campus Ministry report to the
division's board.
     "The student leadership in LSM-USA represents the strong hope we
have in the future into which God is leading the church.  These leaders on
campuses across this land are true disciples who are stewarding their
gifts of the mind and acting in deeds which proclaim the reign of God.  We
feel privileged to work with them as partners in the gospel," said the
Rev. James R. Carr, director for ELCA Campus Ministry.
     The next LSM-USA national gathering will be held in Chicago, Dec.
30, 1999- Jan. 3, 2000, under the theme "whY2K? What time is it? Time to
celebrate, reflect, dream and act."

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html