From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

EA NEWS: Reincarnation is not a Christian belief

From "EAUK Press Office" <press@eauk.org>
Date 01 Feb 1999 06:23:53

For Immediate Release: 1st February 1999

Glenn Hoddle's reported beliefs in reincarnation and disability
being a punishment for sins in past life are not beliefs shared
by Christians, the Evangelical Alliance UK said today in response
to media reports that Glenn Hoddle is an evangelical born again
Christian.

Rev Joel Edwards, general director of the Evangelical Alliance
said: "Reincarnation is not a Christian belief. A person dies
once and is accountable to God depending on their faith in Jesus
Christ.   God does not seek to punish us for our sins but sent
Jesus into the world to make forgiveness possible.

"We live in a society where confused amalgamations of
spirituality are becoming the norm.  Glenn Hoddle's statement is
indicative of the pick-and-mix attitude to religion and deep
search for spirituality so prevalent in society. His reported
beliefs are more akin with eastern religions."

The Evangelical Alliance was founded in 1846 and is the umbrella
body representing over one million Christians in 30 denominations
throughout the UK.  It is a founder-member of the World
Evangelical Fellowship which represents 200 million evangelicals
in 600,000 churches world-wide.

ENDS

For further information, contact:

Gavin Drake, gdrake@eauk.org