From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians find obstacles in church unity plan

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 02 Feb 1999 07:23:30

99-2287
Episcopalians still find obstacles in plan for church unity

by James Solheim
(ENS) A 39-year-old dream for a new form of unity among nine
churches has taken a step into the future in a commitment to be
"visibly intertwined as never before"-but without the Episcopal
Church, at least for the time being.

At the closing session of the 18th plenary of the Consultation on
Church Union (COCU) on January 24, leaders of the churches
stepped forward to endorse a plan for the formation of a
covenant communion that will be known as Churches Uniting in
Christ. They also set a public celebration of the new relationship
during the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity in 2002.

The celebration is not likely to include the Episcopal
Church. Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold told the plenary, "The
Episcopal delegation votes yes but will not be able to commend it
to our General Convention for consideration until agreement has
been reached with regard to the reconciliation of ministries.."

Earlier in the meeting, Pamela Chinnis, president of the
House of Deputies, pointed out that the church's 1994 General
Convention said that it was "not ready" to enter into covenant
communion and expressed "reservations" about the documents
outlining consensus among the participants. "As a founding member
of COCU we have for many years committed ourselves to a deeper
communion with this group of major American denominations," she
said, admitting that "during the last decade our church has been
perceived as sounding a rather uncertain trumpet in this important
dialogue," leaving "our partners in the dialogue both frustrated
and confused."

In an effort to explain why the attitude towards COCU seems
to have changed, Chinnis pointed to a changing ecumenical climate,
including Vatican II, a more catholic Prayer Book, and bi-lateral
dialogues with the Lutherans that "has made us aware that solid
progress can happen as we have conversations over time with one
denomination that we grow to know very well." The result is the
emergence of "a more consistent ecumenical stance on our part,"
subject to further decisions by the General Convention.

Despite its reservations, Chinnis said that the Episcopal
Church supports COCU's "consistent commitment to combat the sin
of racism and to strive for justice." And it wants to "continue
the journey with you. even if to many of you we seem to be forever
walking in last place, and even though we ourselves are in
conscience not yet able to see or affirm everything that most of
the rest of you do."

Historic episcopate is obstacle
As representatives to the plenary struggled with the draft
of an agreement, it was clear that the reconciliation of
ministries was still an obstacle. The first draft included a
commitment to the ministry of bishops in historic succession and
"a common and fully interchangeable threefold ministry," to be
accomplished by 2007.
That created problems for the Presbyterians for whom
oversight is a shared ministry and bishops would not be
acceptable. The final draft admitted the impasse and passed an
amendment calling for a meeting "to clarify the meaning of
reconciliation of ministry."

During discussion Griswold said that Episcopalians had
"great difficulty" with deletion of the section on the historic
episcopate in the final draft, pointing out that the vast majority
of Christians in the world maintain the threefold ministry of
bishops, priests and deacons. In its determination to be
"consistent" in its relations with other ecumenical partners, the
Episcopal Church has been very clear how crucial that
understanding of ministry is to its self-understanding.

Prof. J. Robert Wright of the General Seminary in New York,
an ecumenical consultant who was a member of the drafting
committee, said that COCU may be able to find a way "to include
our position in the emerging vision" but he admitted that the
shift "raises questions for us whether we can continue." Over his
objections, the committee ignored its own earlier consensus
document, endorsed by seven of the nine COCU members, on the issue
of ministry when it deleted the section on the historic
episcopate.

Bishop Ted Gulick of Kentucky, who chairs the dialogue with
Roman Catholics in this country and was a member of the Episcopal
delegation, said that "we recognize ministries when the road to
reconciliation of ministries is clear. We need to see the path
before we can embrace the signs." He added, "The plenary moved to
a different place. We didn't." Yet he expressed hopes that
continuing dialogue can overcome the obstacles and give the
Episcopalians a proposal they can take to General Convention in
the future.

The Rev. Paul Crow of the Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ) said that the issue of episcopal oversight has been "part
of our future" in previous COCU documents. He said that it is
"essential" because it is still a central issue, "one of the
causes of division."

The Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick of Louisville said that the
Presbyterian General Assembly endorsed the covenanting agreements
but changes in the church's constitution necessary to implement
the plan had failed in a vote among the presbyteries on the local
level. The documents don't acknowledge the lay office of ruling
elder, he said, and Presbyterians doubted the need for
"covenanting councils" at the local level to implement the plan.

Whose baby is this?
The Rev. Cynthia Campbell, president of McCormick Seminary
(Presbyterian) in Chicago, said in a report from COCU's theology
commission that it was important "to affirm what we can affirm
now." That would include recognition of a common baptism,
acceptance of each other as churches with authentic ministries and
sacraments. Even though its efforts over the decades have produced
"a certain sense of fatigue," she said layers of relationships,
trust and friendship are gifts that "the Holy Spirit has managed
to foist upon us, sometimes against our better judgment."

In his keynote address, Bishop Thomas Hoyt of the Christian
Methodist Episcopal Church used the metaphor of pregnancy and
birth to argue that the COCU baby is "caught between movement and
structure." The parent churches have struggled to determine "what
this baby should be, how the parent body should associate with the
baby, whether the baby should be aborted or allowed to grow to
full term." And each church has its own understanding of what is
good for the baby. Instead they should hope that the baby would
have "some features of each of us without being an exact replica
of any of us," he said.

Common efforts on racism
"Racism is the greatest church-dividing issue in America-
if not the world," said Dr. Vivian Robinson, who has served as
president of COCU since the last plenary in 1988. And the Rev.
Lewis Lancaster, a Presbyterian who is interim director of COCU,
said that COCU is the place to discuss the issue since it is the
only place where predominantly white and predominantly black
churches can discuss the issue. (In addition to the Episcopal
Church, the Presbyterian Church USA, the United Church of Christ
the Christian Church [Disciples of Christ,] the International
Council of Community Churches and the United Methodist Church,
COCU includes the African Methodist Episcopal, the African
Methodist Episcopal Zion and the Christian Methodist Episcopal
churches.)

Under the leadership of the Rev. Ed Rodman, canon missioner
in the Diocese of Massachusetts, the consultation small groups
discussed a proposed "Call to Christian Commitment and Action to
Combat Racism." The document drew "an irrefutable link between
the churches' search for unity in faith, sacraments and ministry
and the struggle to overcome racism in the churches and the human
community." It also asserted that "our prophetic witness against
racism and all the powers of oppression is a primary test of the
faithfulness of these churches."

Unless the church takes action, racism "will continue to
corrupt our national and ecclesiastical aspirations for a society
that truly incarnates `liberty and justice for all,'" the
document said. "The moral integrity and credibility of both our
nation and our churches are at stake in this struggle. For the
churches in COCU particularly, our quest for visible unity is
irrelevant-in fact, fraudulent-unless that unity embodies racial
solidarity and produces a vital public witness for racial equality
and fairness."

A plan of action
The plenary appealed to member churches to:
* continue to make a compelling theological case against
racism
* identify, name and share information with each other
regarding programs and initiatives
* claim Martin Luther King Jr. Day and similar appropriate
occasions for dialogue leading to systemic change
* Use the discipline of social ethics to encourage effective
advocacy
* insure that worship is an intentional witness against racism
* maintain a strong program of Christian education on the
dynamics of racism and the demands of racial justice
* search for racism embedded in the structures, politics and
programs of churches
* renew the commitment to the struggle for equal human rights
through advocacy
* develop resources to address the issue of racism in the
response of churches to new immigrant groups.

Crow said that the racism document "has radical
implications for COCU-and our churches," and he asked if it was
realistic to continue individual programs and efforts on the
issue. In response Rodman issued a broad warning, "If you are not
willing to give up anything, nothing will happen."

In a later interview, Rodman said that "the statement is
great but its implementation will depend on resources." Support
for COCU by its member churches has diminished, making it
necessary to deplete reserves to support an annual budget of about
$200,000.

Rodman is convinced that the struggle against racism "is one thing
that we can do together" and he sees that struggle as a "bellwether
on how serious the church is." Connecting the King Day and the
Week of Prayer for Christian Unity is "a natural sign, one that could
work at all levels of the church," he added.

--James Solheim is director of the Office of News and Information
of the Episcopal Church.

Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
(212) 922-5383