From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Canadian bishop looks for consensus on same-sex blessings

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 02 Feb 1999 07:49:21

99-2289
Canadian bishop looking for consensus on decision to bless same-
sex unions

by James Solheim
 (ENS) When the Diocese of New Westminster in the Anglican
Church of Canada narrowly approved (179 to 170) a resolution
calling for the blessing of same-sex unions last spring, Bishop
Michael Ingham decided to withhold his consent until after the
Lambeth Conference of Anglican bishops meeting in England last
summer. Now he has decided to delay any action until 2001, looking
for "substantial consensus" before moving ahead. His decision has
drawn strong support in the diocese but some angry disappointment
from Vancouver's large gay and lesbian community.

"What we saw at Lambeth was the fear and animosity that
continues to be directed at gay and lesbian people by the church
and I think justice delayed is justice denied," Ingham said in a
statement. "Nevertheless, bishops do have the responsibility to
guard the unity of the church and try and take people along
together; and that's what I am seeking to do."

Parishes in the diocese will continue their discussions on
the issue and a Bishop's Commission on Gay and Lesbian Voices will
seek to broaden the understanding of life and experiences of gay
church members. Another commission will provide study materials on
the theological issues while another will investigate any legal
impediments. At the same time, a proposed liturgical rite is being
prepared for use if approval is given.

"The church here is actually at odds with a society that
cannot understand our discriminatory attitude," Ingham said. He
even suggested that the church might be violating Canadian law
which opposes discrimination against homosexuals by public
institutions.

In the Province of British Columbia, for example, they are
guaranteed equality before the law. The day may be coming "when
we could find ourselves compelled by law to end our discriminatory
practices," the bishop said.

Archbishop Michael Peers, primate of the Anglican Church of
Canada, expressed his support for Ingham's decision, calling it
consistent with the policy of the church and faithful to Anglican
tradition. "The establishment of a commission to enable biblical
and historic church teaching to be explored and shared embodies a
faithfulness to the Anglican commitment to scripture, tradition
and reason," he said.

 But the decision is also consistent with the mind of the
church's General Synod, Peers said, which "affirms the presence
and contribution of gay men and lesbians in the life of the
church."

--based on reports from the Anglican Church of Canada and the
Church Times of London.

Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
(212) 922-5383