From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal Bishop recovers from successful heart surgery

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 02 Feb 1999 07:57:37

99-2291
Bishop Terry receives a new heart

by Chris Herlinger
(ENS) Bishop Jeff Terry's long, anxious wait is happily
over.

Following two years of uncertainty while awaiting a new
heart, Terry successfully underwent heart transplant surgery
January 7 at the Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane,
Washington.

He is making a slow recovery, but his long-term prognosis
remains good, said Mary Koch, editor of the Inland Episcopalian,
the diocesan newspaper. Terry continues to require a ventilator to
help him breathe. He remains in the hospital's cardiac intensive
care unit and visitors are limited to the bishop's immediate
family.

Doctors have told Terry's wife, Carolyn, that "this is not
a life-and-death concern, but it does indicate that recovery will
be slow," Koch said. "It also means that his life right now is
difficult for him."

Still, flashes of the bishop's signature humor have come
through. Though not able to speak, Terry did give his wife a
"thumb's up" sign through the ventilator, Koch reported.

Carolyn Terry, who has become an advocate for the cause of
organ transplants, has kept the diocese informed through an
Internet diocesan chat group. "Jeff's old heart was very fragile
and definitely ready to be replaced," she wrote in one of the
first messages. "The new heart is good and relatively young."

Later, Carolyn Terry recounted the joy of discovering for
herself that the new heart was working well. "I felt his feet
this morning, and for the first time in four or five years, I was
holding a warm, toasty foot and toes," she said several days
after the surgery.  "The new heart is really doing its thing and
getting the circulation out to the furthest extremities."

Through the chat group, Carolyn Terry has also helped direct
prayer for her husband-whether it be for his kidneys, his lungs
or for hopes that he can escape the worst side effects of drugs
during what is expected to be a long recovery. "Pray for Jeff's
kidneys," she said. "So far they are performing better than
expected.  Pray that he escapes the worst side effects of the
drugs he needs to survive."

In turn, the Terrys have received numerous messages of
support through the chat group. "I was very aware this morning,
sitting in the room alone with Jeff, that we were surrounded by
your love and prayers," Carolyn Terry wrote three days after the
surgery.

In her January 25 report, Carolyn Terry said that a complete
cat scan revealed that "everything in Jeff's body other than his
lungs looks good.  The bad news is that his lungs look very sick
which is not totally new news." Various treatments are now being
tried to help his lungs.

"It is all so very slow and trying," her message
concluded. "So I continue to hope and pray as I know you do.
Your messages are very comforting and I keep holding on to the
stories of other transplant patients who have walked this walk and
walked out of the hospital."

The two years of waiting for a new heart had not been easy
on the Terrys, and were made even more frustrating in the weeks
leading up to the surgery, when, at one point, the bishop was
prepared for surgery, but the operation was cancelled.

Terry, a one-time runner, discovered he had heart problems
in the early 1990s. In 1992, he had a pacemaker placed in his
chest and continued his running regimen. Later it was discovered
that Terry suffered from congestive heart disease, possibly from a
virus. In  1995, he suffered from a severe case of arrhythmia of
the heart, and up until his surgery, he had suffered from a
seriously enlarged heart that was not pumping enough blood
throughout his body.

In 1996 he was placed on a national waiting list for a new
heart, but wasn't designated "Status One" until last fall, when
it was clear that his enlarged heart wasn't supplying enough blood
to his kidneys. In an interview last fall with ENS prior to his
surgery, Terry said he had begun conducting diocesan business from
the Sacred Heart Medical Center, including hosting an informal and
long-established meeting with fellow Spokane religious leaders at
the hospital cafeteria.

Terry said despite attendant frustrations, the journey he
had experienced while awaiting his transplant had taught him
valuable lessons-one of them being the humbleness of knowing
hundreds are praying for him.

"I've learned a lot, including the strength of the
Christian community, and what it's like to have a network of
people who care for you and love you," he said. "When hundreds
are praying for you, you better understand that everyone is loved
more than we realize, particularly by God."

Updates on the bishop's condition are available on the
diocesan web site: www.spokane.anglican.org

--Chris Herlinger is a freelance writer in New York and a stringer
for Ecumenical News International. He is also the information
officer for the Church World Service Emergency Response Program.

Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
(212) 922-5383
kmccormick@dfms.org