From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians continue to help Hurricane Mitch victims

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 02 Feb 1999 08:13:02

99-2293
Hurricane Mitch relief looks toward the long term

by Kathryn McCormick
 (ENS) In a response that has spanned the church,
Episcopalians have worked together to ship tons of food, clothing,
medicines, tools and building materials to hurricane-ravaged
Central America, but now that the countries hit hardest by
Hurricane Mitch last fall have faced their direst emergencies;
planning is beginning to shift toward long-term aid focused on
rehabilitation.

The Presiding Bishop's Fund for World Relief, for example,
one of the first agencies to respond after the storm struck, is
now looking at how it will use the money it has received for
hurricane relief-well over $1 million, with more arriving every
day. The Fund has dispensed all it can under its guidelines for
emergency grants; now it must determine how to award development
grants to the affected dioceses.

"That money has to be thoughtfully allocated," said Phoebe
Griswold, wife of the Presiding Bishop and an organizer of an
informal committee trying to help match grants with imaginative
projects.

The committee was formed, she explained, shortly before she
and Ann Vest, former interim executive director of the Fund,
visited Honduras and Nicaragua last December. Those countries were
the hardest hit by the hurricane. "Before I left, I wanted input
from people representing different constituencies in the church
structure; I wanted to know what stories they wanted me to bring
back-the different lenses through which the church would view the
tragedy," she said.

Now, she said, she wants to "see what seeds planted in the
relief work could grow into good development work."

Water pumps and jobs
She cited the example of the solar water pump donated for
use in a Honduran village she visited. She said she had marveled
at how well the man running the pump was making it work
efficiently to the benefit of his entire community. He confessed
with a smile that he was a volunteer firefighter with a special
knowledge of pumps. "I could just see him running several of
these in a network," Griswold said. The result would be a job for
him and help not only for his community but surrounding areas.

Thoughtful development could also help in areas where
forests have been destroyed, she said. There is discussion in
Honduras of a moratorium on cutting down trees-nearly impossible
to enforce in areas where wood is the main fuel for cooking. "We
need alternative energy sources there," she said. "Maybe solar
power?"

While planning for the long term has begun, others in the
church have found ways to send help in the wake of the first major
deliveries of goods.

One of the more imaginative has been "Church in a Box," a
project led by Sara Jordan, director of the Altar Guild in the
Diocese of Texas. The project is one of several involving
collecting vestments, chalices and other church appointments that
can be boxed and shipped to specific churches in the Diocese of
Honduras. Nearly half of Honduras' 27 Episcopal churches were
destroyed by Hurricane Mitch.

Plans call for each box to contain a chalice, paten,
purificator, lavabo bowl, two cruets, a flagon, linens, two
candlesticks, Missal, clergy stoles and/or vestments in seasonal
colors.

"It will make a big difference to the people there to see
their church getting back to normal," said Jordan.

The Diocese of Washington, which has a companion
relationship with the Diocese of Honduras, shipped more than 1,000
"Family to Familia" boxes packed with household and baby items
plus tools and medicine to Honduras in December.

The Diocese of Washington has also sent money for the
purchase of 4x4 dual-cab pickup trucks to help in the distribution
of supplies in Honduras. Funds raised by the diocese have topped
$400,000.

Send checks
Meanwhile, though a number of dioceses in the United States
are continuing to collect supplies of all kinds, more than one
disaster relief organization operating in Central America has
begun saying, "Don't send supplies; send checks."

According to the Miami Herald newspaper, agency heads who
are still deeply moved by the huge initial emergency response
point out that local economies are functioning normally now and
that many supplies can be purchased at home. What's needed now
are:
* Specialized medicines to treat cholera and other diseases
resulting from disaster-related conditions. The medicines
are available; what's needed is money to buy them, local
experts say.
* Land for farmers whose fields disappeared in mudslides and
floods. Local officials are trying to buy property in order
to relocate the farmers.
* Seeds, available locally if farmers have the money to pay
for them. Most do not.
* Of course, the agencies say, donations of any kind will not
be refused, but they see a situation growing more urgent
every day that long-term development-and the jobs and
security it promises-is less than fully addressed. The New
York Times noted recently that the number of impoverished
immigrants fleeing toward the United States from Central
America has grown rapidly as people look desperately for
ways to support their families.
* For Phoebe Griswold, development after the disaster will not
only bring answers to economic questions; it will tell the
Episcopal Church much about its own identity.
* "I saw how effective we are" in December, she said. "Now,
what is our charism in the rest of this work?"

--Kathryn McCormick is Associate Director of the Office of News
and Information of the Episcopal Church.

Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
(212) 922-5383
kmccormick@dfms.org