From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians reach out to Nicaraguan victims

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 02 Feb 1999 08:20:57

99-2294
Nightmare in Nicaragua: A dark roar, and suddenly hell was upon
them

by Nan Cobbey
(Episcopal Life) Calixto Palacio said it sounded "like an
earthquake, like rocks rumbling."

Napoleon Narbaez described "a noise like helicopters right
overhead."

Maria Adriana Munoz saw it. "The clouds were low and it was
dark, but it looked like a monster up to the sky."

The three survivors of the massive mudslide at La Casita
volcano in Nicaragua told their stories to Phoebe Griswold, Bishop
Sturdie Downs of Nicaragua and those accompanying them on December
14 visit. Six weeks had passed since Hurricane Mitch had sent a
nightmare of scalding water, mud, boulders and uprooted trees
crashing into the communities at the base of the mountain, and
still the people who had survived searched every day for bodies of
their family members.

"It hurts not being able to find my mother," Munoz told
the visitors. "I would have been comforted if I could have found
just her bones to bury." With one hand on the reins of her horse
and the other holding the hand of a boy about seven, she wept. "I
couldn't find the body of my son ... I loved my son so much."

A canyon to the sea
She has come back to the scene of her tragedy, a scene shorn
of all but memories. Nothing of the village of Rolando Rodriguez
remains. The landscape that must once have held school and church
and market is now a level plain of silt, sand and dirt dotted here
and there with boulders five, six, seven feet high. The flat
desolation stretches a mile in either direction where the
thundering flow came through.

In this Pacific Coast area, Hurricane Mitch brought not
winds but rain. It rained for nine days straight before the
mountain, an active volcano, collapsed under the pressure of
accumulated water. With an almost unimaginable force, those
waters, heated to a temperature witnesses can't estimate, came
crashing down the slopes. The churning rock and mud moved with
such power it carved out what looks like a canyon all the way to
the sea, a distance of about 30 miles. In some spots, that canyon
is 35 feet deep and as wide as a football field.

^From the time the volcano collapsed until its torrent of
gouging destruction reached the sea, only 12 hours passed. Jorans
Lopez, 25, a volunteer in the mayor's office at nearby Posoltega,
described the aftermath of the mudslide in detail for the
visitors.

"It started at 11:30 in the morning," he said. "At first
we thought it was only a little flood, but then the dead started
arriving in Posoltega and in the harbor. They had 85 bodies
floating there and we began to realize it was more than a flood."

No warning
For those right at the foot of the mountain, there was
almost no warning. From the time they heard the rumbling until the
slide was on them, only five minutes elapsed, according to Lopez.
The horror did not end when the torrent met the sea. The rain
continued for three more days and bodies continued to turn up
toward the coast.

According to Francisco Sanchez of the mayor's office, the
mayor called the government for help. "It is a total disaster.
The population is dying," she told them. "They did not believe
her. They thought she was crazy."

In fact, more than 1,500 people were killed and three
villages wiped out entirely. It wasn't until three days later that
the first army helicopter was sent to Posoltega to pick up would-
be rescuers and make the trip to the volcano.

"When the people jumped [out of the helicopter], they sank
into the mud, some up to their necks," said Lopez. They hadn't
known the mud was still hot. There was no way to get them out for
four days. Most of that team died.

Symbols of life
As Griswold, wife of Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold, and
Downs walked over the site with the other members of their party-
Ann Vest, interim director of the Presiding Bishop's Fund for
World Relief; Isolina Downs, wife of the bishop; the Rev. Canon
Ricardo Potter of the Episcopal Church's Anglican and Global
Affairs Office; Bishop Cornelius Wilson of Costa Rica, primate of
the Church of the Central American Region, and George Porter,
diocesan administrator in Nicaragua-they found reminders of the
tragedy.

A rough-crafted cross, pieced together out of debris and
tied up with flowers, now wilted, marked the spot where the torso
of one body had been pulled from the mud. The name written on the
wood could no longer be read.

Maria Adriana Munoz told Potter that people came back every
day to search. "In our hearts we keep hoping to find the bodies."
She said people climb up on the biggest of the boulders and just
sit there and cry.

Before the visitors returned to the van that had driven them
up the mud flow to the foot of the volcano, they joined hands to
pray, asking for help and sustenance for the people who had
suffered so deeply. As Griswold climbed into the van she held in
her hand a four-inch shoot of maize. "I found it growing out of
the mud," she said.

--Nan Cobbey is features editor for Episcopal Life, the national
newspaper of the Episcopal Church.

Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
(212) 922-5383