From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Publishing House discovers side effects in elimination of Y2K

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 02 Feb 1999 14:18:08

problem

Feb. 2, 1999	Contact: Linda Green*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
10-71B{063}

By Judith Smith*

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS)--The potential disruptions resulting from the Year
2000 (Y2K) computer bug have dominated the news media and coffee shop
conversations. But the solutions that eliminate the bug can have their own
disruptive side effects, the denomination's publishing agency has
discovered.

"The United Methodist Publishing House began addressing the Y2K problems in
our complex computer systems three years ago in order to be ahead of the
curve," said Neil M. Alexander, president and publisher.  "We have been
aggressively working not only to address the Year 2000 issue but also to
move our systems to a more efficient, less costly computing platform so that
we might serve our customers better."

In October the Publishing House replaced its order-processing and inventory
systems and some of its financial systems, including new hardware and
software that would resolve long-term Year 2000 problems. Unfortunately, the
long-term solutions have generated short-term problems.   Because the
internal changes were massive, Alexander and his staff knew that there would
inevitably be problems that neither they nor their technical consultants
could anticipate. But the transition has proven to be more troublesome than
they expected.

"We are grateful that we got a head start on this process," said Alexander.
"If we had not begun early and moved aggressively, the problems would be
much greater than those we currently face."

The staff of the Publishing House and a large group of technical consultants
are working to fine-tune the software programs and workflow processes that
have inconvenienced some customers. They hope to have the problems resolved
within a few months, well before the Year 2000 arrives.

Alexander has emphasized the commitment of the United Methodist Church's
publishing arm to be good stewards by making prudent investments that will
assure the needed improvements to these critical systems.

 "As we carry out our ministry of publishing and distribution for the
church, our highest priority is to provide the best possible customer
service. We deeply regret any inconvenience resulting from these changes,"
Alexander said. "It will take some time to resolve all of these issues, but
we are certain that the end result will be higher quality service to our
customers."

# # #

*Smith is the director of special projects and church and public relations
for the United Methodist Publishing House.

United Methodist News Service
http://www.umc.org/umns/
newsdesk@umcom.umc.org
(615)742-5472