From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Newsline - Items 22-27

From Church of the Brethren News Services
Date 05 Feb 1999 16:45:26

Date:      Feb. 5, 1999
Contact:  Nevin Dulabaum
V:  847/742-5100   F:  847/742-6103
E-MAIL:   CoBNews@AOL.Com

22) The Church of the Brethren Illinois/Wisconsin District has
extended its search for a full-time executive. Application deadline
is March 31. For more information, contact Nancy Knepper at
nknepper_gb@brethren.org or at 407 294-8886.

23) The Palms Estates, a Brethren independent living retirement
community in Lorida, Fla., seeks an executive director. This
position has the option of being a two-person, husband-wife team.
Interested people may contact Norman Harsh by Feb. 26 at
normharsh@juno.com or at 841 655-1733. The Palms is a member of the
Fellowship of Brethren Homes.

24) The National Council of Churches is seeking a director of
Ministries in Christian Education. Application deadline is Feb. 26.
For more information, contact Laura Williams at 212 870-2088.

25) The 1998 year-end financial figures for the Church of the
Brethren General Board were determined this week. Judy Keyser,
General Board treasurer, filed this upbeat report —

How can we keep from singing a song of joy when we have been
blessed with better results than expected for General Programs
ministries? Results for 1998, pending independent audit review,
show income over expense of approximately $617,000 on a budget that
estimated $224,000 of income over expenses. This was the first full
fiscal year of the redesigned ministries. The General Board planned
to have income over expenses to rebuild reserves that were used
during the redesign process and to work to insure support for
future years.

This positive outcome was because of more income than budgeted and
careful underspending. The increased income was largely a result of
conservative income budgeting in certain areas. Examples of this
are that we received $200,000 more of gifts from individuals than
budgeted and received $100,000 of extra investment income.

However, it is important to remember that giving from congregations
to the General Ministries Fund in 1998 was $55,000 lower than
received in 1997. Congregational giving is the largest portion of
income and represented 61 percent of this year’s income. Direct
gifts to the General Ministries Fund were down by $8,000 from 1997.

Strong support is important as we work to insure continuity of
ministries. The General Board sets out in faith each year with a
budget to provide ministries. Our churches and individuals made
these ministries happen and made a difference in the world.

In addition to the $500,000 of gifts from estates that was budgeted
in 1998 for General Programs, the General Board received an
additional $227,000 of bequest income. In keeping with General
Board policies, this additional amount was placed in the bequest
quasi-endowment to provide additional interest income over the long
term.

Five other General Board ministries have pre-audit results for 1998
— these receive their income from service fees or sales. Brethren
Press and the New Windsor Conference Center show losses of
approximately $65,000 and $47,000, respectively. Careful planning
is underway for these programs for 1999 and thereafter. Meanwhile,
Emergency Response/Service Ministries, Messenger magazine, and
SERRV had net incomes — ER/SM $12,000; Messenger $29,000; and
SERRV $226,000.

As we look at this major transition year of 1998, when all programs
for the General Board were reviewed and changed, we have much to be
thankful for. Budgets were built on faith for General Programs to
support certain ministries. It was difficult to know whether
program goals could be achieved within the budget, but they were.
Also, as new “self-funding” units were asked to find service fees
or sales income to support their expenses, it was a time of testing
for these units. The question of whether we need to provide
donation dollars to self-funding units is being reviewed.

Even with much staff transition, new programs, and major expense
reductions, we can feel positive about the outcomes in this first
full year. A long-term approach and continued financial support
will insure the ministries of the larger church in the future.

26) One of the McPherson College interterm classes offered last
month was a work trip to rural Dominican Republic. Dale Minnich,
McPherson’s director of planned giving, led the class that
consisted of 14 people, including 11 students. Minnich reports on
that experience —

In late September Hurricane Georges devastated the Dominican
Republic, Puerto Rico, and Haiti. In the sugar cane worker
settlement of Tarana in northeastern Dominican Republic, populated
by Haitian immigrants, it destroyed or damaged much of the lightly
constructed housing, devastated crops and trees, and made the water
and electric power systems completely dysfunctional.

Many houses had been patched by January and many families had found
temporary housing in a barracks soon to be needed by additional
seasonal sugar cane workers, but the remaining needs were great. An
intensive program of meeting these needs was mounted — The Church
of the Brethren General Board’s Emergency Response/Service
Ministries made a grant for building materials and volunteer
expenses; a Dominican ecumenical agency (COTEDO) provided liaison
with community leaders and project planning; the community offered
extensive volunteer energies; and McPherson College provided ready
workers.

I directed the McPherson group, along with William Brow, associate
professor of Spanish. Other participants were Elizabeth Stover,
Sarah Stover, Jonas Lichty, and Renata Lichty from Quinter, Kan.;
Tyler Kerst and John Ingelhart from Glenwood Springs, Colo.; Vernon
Michael, a 1937 McPherson College alumnus from Baldwin City, Kan.;
Manny Avila of Whitewright, Texas; Beth Kidder of Greers Ferry,
Ark.; Lacey McFall of Greenwood, Kan.; Amanda Behnke of Bushton,
Kan.; and Seth Good of Annville, Pa. The following are notes from
my journal.

A reconstruction campaign
Our first night in the project area, COTEDO’s area coordinator,
Lucas Sanchez, reviewed the goals that had been set for our project
at a meeting with community leaders. Thirteen homes were to be
substantially renovated and reroofed; a good start was to be made
on building 35 latrines; and the town water system’s twisted
windmill was to be restored. All of this was to be done with lots
of labor, and direction from community leaders. There was a ripple
of excitement as Lucas’ words were translated. “Let’s do it!” was
the response.

By the time our good-byes were said at the end of the project, 12
homes had been remodeled (one rebuilt from scratch), 12 latrines
were completed, and the windmill was spinning merrily and pumping
water into the big holding tank.

Little waving girl
While it took the community a few days to warm up to our group,
this was not the case with Simona. Five years old and usually clad
only in a brightly colored pair of panties and a large smile, she
delighted in calling out and waving as our truck full of volunteers
went by. It became a game to see how long we could keep her waving.
A few days later she had a new waving recruit — her two-year old
brother, Jimmy. Baby sister Diana never learned to wave, but was
usually a part of the beaming family as we passed by.

Wonderful, wonderful water
Water had been out since the hurricane, and nearby streams were
badly polluted. Thus, the community relied on the erratic arrivals
of a government tanker truck. When it arrived during our first
morning on the project, hundreds of people immediately appeared
with buckets, barrels, pans — anything that would store the
precious liquid.

We were impressed with the critical importance of abundant, safe
water for drinking, cooking, and personal hygiene. It was a joyous
occasion when, on Jan. 20, the settlement windmill again began to
provide water, thanks to the efforts of technical workers hired to
assist our group with this project.

Several years earlier Church of the Brethren funds were used to
repair a windmill in the neighboring settlement of Sabana Larga.
This windmill was also made inoperable by Georges, but would soon
be the next challenge of our windmill team.

How many people does it take to dig a latrine?
Surprisingly, the answer seems to be around 30! Each of the work
projects became the occasion for a large community gathering. A
couple of people could work while others advised, joked, or sang.
Some of our women were quick to enter into this spirit and
organized finger plays and games for the hoards of nearby children.
You had to be quick to get your turn with the pick or shovel or
someone would beat you to it. In the early going there was a
reluctance to see women doing physical work, but this barrier
gradually came down. We soon recognized that our primary role was
not to work the most but to build relationships and to serve as
catalysts for positive community activity.

Washing feet
One day we returned to the work site after a hard overnight rain —
the partially completed latrine hole had at least 15 inches of
water in the bottom. First Amanda Behnke and then Vernon Michael
took off their shoes and entered the hole to bail water. After this
disagreeable job was completed, settlement residents brought water
and washed Amanda and Vernon’s feet. It provided an occasion to
share how a similar act of service by our Lord is re-enacted
meaningfully in the Brethren feet washing service. It was a tender
moment.

A home for the old folks
An older couple who can no longer do much physical work had had
their home wrecked beyond repair. In the early days of the project
we removed its remains. Since the end of September they had been
living in an 8 x 8, low-roofed cooking shack covered with palm
branches.

The town committee made building a new home for the old folks a
priority. I had the privilege to work on it for three days with
some of the town’s better builders. The work began on a Tuesday. By
Wednesday afternoon the house was framed and sided. I visited with
the elderly woman about her loss and the prospect of the new house
— a very large and comfortable one by community standards.
“Tomorrow the roof!” I said enthusiastically. She nodded and turned
away abruptly as her eyes filled with tears..

It could have been me
Early in the project we replaced the roof of a small three-room
house with a dirt floor. Several conversations with the owner
followed. He was about my age, but the differences were striking.

I have had my share of dental needs over the years and have always
found ways to get appropriate care. His teeth were nearly gone. My
first child was born in 1963, his in 1965. Since then my three
children have become well educated. Since 1965 he has witnessed the
birth of 29 more children, all to the same wife, he confided. None
have education beyond primary school.

I have always had challenging and satisfying work and have been
well compensated. Retirement in a few years looks secure. His
primary marketable skill is as a cane cutter, with such work only
available 3-6 months each year. Retirement is not a meaningful
concept for him. During my stay I spent about $50 on incidentals.
This casual expenditure represented perhaps two months income for
his family. How can it be that I have so much when people just as
worthy have so little?

A promise
We visited a community near Santo Domingo where Haitian sugar cane
workers have moved to the urban setting. Few were finding
opportunities for advancement. Others consider moving to the U.S.,
primarily to Haitian communities in Miami or New York. Would their
chances be better there?

Our last morning on the project the rains came early. By breakfast
time a beautiful and brilliant double rainbow painted the sky. What
could be its meaning? Could it be a sign of hope? I choose to take
it as a reminder that our creator still cares for these seemingly
forgotten people — and as a challenge for me to do what I can to
help in some small way.

27) If membership to the Church of the Brethren were granted
through affiliation, then Yvonne (Yonnie) Kauffman, the women’s
basketball coach at Elizabethtown (Pa.) College for the past 29
years, certainly would qualify.

Kauffman, who next week is expected to guide her Blue Jays to its
800th victory in its 71-year history, has spent her life among
people and agencies of the Church of the Brethren.

“I’m not Brethren, but I’ve sure had Brethren connections,” she
said, including E-town, one of six colleges and university
affiliated with the Church of the Brethren.

Another connection was Allegra Hess, a graduate of Bridgewater
(Va.) College, which is also affiliated with the Church of the
Brethren. Hess happened to be Kauffman’s high school field hockey
coach who spoke so highly of Bridgewater that Kauffman enrolled
after taking a year off to work.

Kauffman participated in Bridgewater sports and it was during her
senior year that she received an unexpected phone call. During
Kauffman’s college career, Hess had become E-town’s women’s
basketball coach. After 60 career wins, Hess created a vacancy when
she stepped down from that position. That was when Brethren member,
Owen Wright, called Kauffman, telling her about the position. She
graduated from Bridgewater in 1966 and has been coaching at E-town
ever since.

And what a run it has been. Kauffman has accumulated a 521-164
record. She is only the second women’s coach in NCAA Division III
to post more than 500 career victories. Her recipe for success,
success that has earned her team two national championships, two
second place finishes, and numerous tournament appearances,
includes a number of components.

Recruiting is a key, she said, especially for a school that does
not offer scholarships. Talented players who can work as a unit are
also needed. “I think that my best thing is taking stars from high
school and making them a team,” Kauffman said. “They all come in
with an ego, but when you can get them to work as a team ....”

And then there’s luck — of avoiding injuries, of referee’s calls,
of being focused, of making the right coaching decisions, and of
home court advantage. E-town’s 1982 team won the national
championship on its home court. Did the home court give her team an
edge? “You bet!” Kauffman chuckled.

Equally important is the commitment college staff and faculty have
had for the women’s basketball program. “We’ve had people here
who’ve had vision for women’s athletics,” she said.

When Kauffman joined E-town she inherited a one-person operation.
Success has built up the program up in a number of ways, including
staffing. She now has an assistant coach and two volunteer
assistants. “When you have a program like ours, everyone wants to
be involved,” she said. Local interest in the team also increases
with success, which means Kauffman is frequently recognized
throughout the E-town area.

So how does she feel about the success her program has had over the
past three decades?

“It makes you feel very proud and very good about the decisions you
made down the road at staying at this college,” Kauffman said.

Feelings that no doubt will be accentuated as early as next week
when E-town posts its 800th team win. But that is just a bump on
the road on the way to this season’s primary goal.

“I’d love to win another national championship,” she said. “The
feelings you have after winning a national championship are just
unbelievable.”

Newsline is produced by Nevin Dulabaum, manager of the Church of
the Brethren General Board’s News Services. Howard Royer
contributed to this report. Newsline stories may be reprinted
provided that Newsline is cited as the source and the publication
date is included.

To receive Newsline by e-mail or fax, call 800 323-8039, ext. 263,
or write CoBNews@AOL.Com. Newsline is available at www.brethren.org
and is archived with an index at http://www.wfn.org.