From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Reformed International Handbook Identifies Startling 746 Churches

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 05 Feb 1999 20:05:31

99052

    Reformed International Handbook
    Identifies Startling 746 Churches

    by Edmund Doogue
    Ecumenical News International

GENEVA--Three years ago, when Jean-Jacques Bauswein and Lukas Vischer,
Protestant theologians based in the Geneva region, began compiling a
handbook of Reformed churches
worldwide, they expected the final list would include "between 450 and 500
churches."

    The final product - a 740-page handbook - lists 746 churches in 149
countries.  For Korea alone 99 Reformed churches are listed, almost all of
them "Presbyterian."

    As "The Reformed Family Worldwide: A Survey of Reformed Churches,
Theological Schools, and International Organizations" was published this
month, even the two editors expressed surprise at what Bauswein described
as "the scope, diversity, disunity and potentials of the Reformed family
world-wide."

    "I was very surprised by the number," Vischer, professor emeritus of
ecumenical theology at the Evangelical Reformed Theological Faculty of
Berne, told ENI.  "Even mutual knowledge between Reformed churches is
minimal.  We discovered some countries where the main Reformed or
Presbyterian churches have no knowledge of some other Reformed churches in
their own country."

    The handbook, in its length and detail, is an impressive work.
Bauswein, former director of the John Knox International Reformed Center in
Geneva, said it would prove most useful, especially to church leaders,
church organizations and mission agencies within the "Reformed family."  It
would also be invaluable, he said, to people in inter-confessional dialogue
and researchers studying religion.

    The book lists Reformed churches country by country.  Each country
entry begins with a local history of Christianity, which includes
information about the establishment and growth of Reformed churches.  Each
Reformed church in that country is then listed in order of date of
establishment.  The entry for each church begins with a history of the
church and ends with a list of statistics, including church membership, the
number of clergy, both male and female, the confessions of faith recognized
by the church, the regional and international organizations to which it is
linked, the church's theological schools, and the periodicals which it
publishes.  Finally, the statistics include the address, phone and fax
number, as well as e-mail addresses of the church's headquarters.

    Another comprehensive list - of the world's 529 theological schools
with Reformed training - takes up 140 pages.  Also listed in the book are
the eight  Reformed world organizations.

    Bauswein told ENI that compiling the book involved the help of hundreds
of people in many countries, and many methods of communication, including
electronic mail and mission radio telephones.  The editors contacted every
church they knew of or were told about which could be
considered part of the Reformed family -- Reformed, Presbyterian,
Congregational, Evangelical and United churches which have a Reformed
element.  The entries were compiled by many different people, checked by
the editors and then sent to the respective churches for approval.

    The authors did not "judge" churches or the merits of their doctrines
and activities.  "We tried to present the version as the churches
themselves see it," Bauswein said.  "We have tried not to have any
particular bias, and we did our best to locate all Reformed churches in
every country."

    But, though the book is without doubt a useful reference work, "The
Reformed Family Worldwide" seems guaranteed to cause a shock to the
Christian world, especially members of Reformed churches.  The initial
reaction of most readers will be astonishment at the proliferation of
Reformed churches, and concern about the division this indicates within one
of Christianity's main traditions.

    "The picture of division [demonstrated by the book] is rather
devastating," Vischer told ENI.  Asked if the authors hoped that the book
would be an instrument to reduce division among Reformed churches, Vischer,
who also wrote the 35-page historical introduction to the handbook,  said:
"People are beginning to reflect what that [division] means, and, in my
view, that is the real purpose of the book."

    While the book provided useful information about the size, location and
theology of Reformed churches, Vischer said, he could not help thinking of
Paul's First Letter to the Corinthians, where Paul says he has heard of
divisions in the local church between members who say they belong to one
leader or another.  Paul's response is to ask: "Has Christ been divided?"
Vischer commented: "That's what we Reformed have to face up to."

    Asked by ENI why there were so many Reformed denominations and so many
splits, Vischer replied: "There is no one overall reason, it's partly the
result of a voluntarist understanding of the church, regarding the church
as an association of people."

    At the 1989 General Council in Seoul of the world's biggest Reformed
organization, the World Alliance of Reformed Church, a list was made of the
causes of splits. Vischer said some of the principal ones identified were
doctrinal differences; political allegiances; the strong Reformed tendency
to organize mission on a country-by-country basis, for example, churches
from various
countries set up 11 Reformed missions in Nigeria, resulting in the
establishment of 11 different Reformed churches; differences over
participation in the ecumenical movement; and conflict over the "three Ps"
- power, personality, property.

    Vischer also told ENI that compiling the book brought home to him the
stark contrast between theologians' high-minded writing about the Reformed
tradition and the reality of church division.  "My impression is that much
of our Reformed theological thinking is "docetic" - never
touches the earth. Docetism was a view held by some early Christians that
Christ never really became flesh," he explained.  "What I'm saying is that
it's easy to theorize, starting from the Bible, and to ignore history
itself.  But you need to take seriously who you are.  It's like someone who
formulates wonderful theories about human beings, but has in fact rather
dubious behavior."

    The 3,000 copies of "The Reformed Family Worldwide" released in January
provide a valuable instrument of reference for Reformed churches and those
who relate to them. But it also seems certain to be a catalyst for
reflection and action within the Reformed tradition.  Bauswein
described the book as a "mirror" for the Reformed family to examine itself.
Now it remains to be seen how Reformed Christians will react to what they
see in that mirror.