From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Larry Carr Stepping down as Foundation President

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 05 Feb 1999 20:05:39

99061

    Larry Carr Stepping down as Foundation President

    by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -  The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Foundation announced
Feb. 4 that Larry Carr will resign as president and CEO to join his wife in
Massachusetts.

    Carr, 51, will continue leading the Foundation until an interim
president is named.  A search committee hopes to have a recommendation for
the Foundation board when it meets in Philadelphia, April 15-18.

    The Foundation will celebrate its 200th anniversary during the meeting.

    "They're hoping to have (a recommendation) by our April board meeting,"
said Jan Hamblen, a spokesperson for the Foundation, "but that's the goal,
not a public statement at this point."

    Once an interim president is in place, Carr will join his wife, Jean,
in Boston.

    "She's my best friend and my spiritual companion," Carr said of his
wife of nearly 26 years, who moved from the Louisville area last June after
graduating from law school and accepting a position in Boston.

    The Foundation has appointed an Interim Transition Advisory Committee
and an Executive Search Committee to help find a new leader, according to a
Foundation news release. The search committee hopes to have a
recommendation for the permanent position by October.

    Carr said he has no immediate plans: "I haven't a clue what I'll be
doing when I get to Boston."

    The Foundation made great strides in fund-raising under Carr, who
joined the corporation six years ago after serving as vice president and
director of the National Insurance Co. of  Detroit.

    Assets managed by the Foundation have grown from about $900 million to
about $1.8 billion during Carr's tenure. Distributions from those assets
have exceeded $100 million for each of the past three years - more than
double the annual amount at the start of Carr's first term.

    Gifts and deposits in 1998 totaled $160 million, marking the
Foundation's seventh consecutive record-setting year.

    "Larry Carr has made a tremendous impact on the life and future of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)," said John Detterick, executive director of
the General Assembly Council. "What he has accomplished . . . will pay
dividends to the mission and ministry of the church for decades."

    Carr's tenure also has been marked by tension between the Foundation,
based in Jeffersonville, Ind., and the General Assembly, headquartered just
across the Ohio River in Louisville.

    Perhaps the most memorable dispute between the two, in the mid-'90s,
concerned the management of restricted funds. That matter was a major part
of the agenda of the church's 208th General Assembly in 1996, which hired
the Arthur Andersen Co. to conduct a study of the GA and its member
entities.

    The Andersen study, in turn, led to the Special Committee on Review of
the General Assembly, which will report to the 211th General Assembly in
Fort Worth this summer. The special committee is recommending that the GAC
become solely a mission agency, while a new "Council of the Assembly"
assumes the GAC's current ecclesiastical functions and is given authority
to mediate conflicts between GA entities.