From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Congo Civil War

From Sheila MESA <smm@wcc-coe.org>
Date 08 Feb 1999 01:18:17

World Council of Churches
Press Release
For Immediate Use

URGENT INTERNATIONAL ACTION NEEDED TO STOP CONGO CIVIL WAR

Intervention by the United Nations and the Organisation of African Unity
is urgently needed to stop the civil war in Congo-Brazzaville, says the
World Council of Churches (WCC).

A precarious peace, established in October 1997, collapsed just over a
month ago. Militias loyal to former President Lissouba and former prime
minister Kolelas took up arms again and were met with extreme brutality
by the army and militias faithful to President Sassou Nguesso. The
conflict is rapidly deteriorating along ethnic lines.  Already thousands of
people have been killed and it is estimated that 100,00-150,000 people
have fled into the forests. The government has done virtually nothing to
control the spiral of terror.  Last November, militia forces attacked a
mediation team from the country's Ecumenical Council of Churches.  Six
of the nine team members were killed.

In the face of desperate calls from church leaders in Congo-Brazzaville
for help from the worldwide Christian community, WCC General
Secretary, Rev. Dr Konrad Raiser, has written to Dr Kofi Annan, UN
Secretary-General, and the President of France, Mr Jacques Chirac.

Dr Raiser told Dr Annan of the WCC's "deep concern" over the
worsening situation in Congo-Brazzaville, and the need for international
action. "Remarkably, most church leaders have chosen to remain in the
country, as close as possible to their communities, in the hope that
circumstances will soon allow for them to retake their ministry of peace,
tolerance and national reconciliation.  It is in their name, and giving
expression to their urgent concerns that I write, in the hope that their and
other voices of the people of Congo-Brazzaville can be heard and
responded to at the table of the Security Council and in other international
forums."

In his letter to the Mr Chirac, Dr Raiser says he is writing to the French
President, "as the leader of a country which is in a position to play a
decisive role in encouraging greater involvement in Congo-Brazzaville on
the part of the international community."

"We are aware that France has already undertaken efforts in this
direction.  But in view of the tragic evolution of the situation and fears of
an impending escalation of the conflict, we believe it is possible to make
further representations to the government of the Congo at diplomatic
level, urging it to negotiate an end to hostilities and commit itself to a
process of pacification and reconciliation."

"The intervention of the United Nations and the Organization of African
Unity is also urgently needed, in our view, as the present deteriorating
situation is due at least in part to the lack of attention from the
international community."

Dr Raiser calls on France to help mobilise international concern. "In view
of the steadily deteriorating situation, we strongly hope that France will
intensify its role as a peace-maker in the country and bring about greater
involvement on the part of the international community."

"For our part, we undertake with the member churches of the World
Council of Churches, and especially those in France, Europe and Africa,
to accompany the churches of the Congo in their efforts for peace and
reconciliation and to support them in the difficult times they are
experiencing at present."

Copies of the letters (President Chirac: English and French; Dr Annan:
English only) are available from the press office on request.  Contact
Sheila Mesa or John Newbury +41.22.791.61.51/2.

WCC staff Genevieve Jacques (English, French, Spanish)
+41.22.791.62.07 and Huibert Van Beek (English, Dutch, French)
+41.22.791.61.44 are available for interview or for more background
information.

**********
The World Council of Churches is a fellowship of churches, now 338, in
more than 100 countries in all continents from virtually all Christian
traditions.  The Roman Catholic Church is not a member church but
works cooperatively with the WCC.  The highest governing body is the
Assembly, which meets approximately every seven years.  The WCC
was formally inaugurated in 1948 in Amsterdam, Netherlands.  Its staff is
headed by general secretary Konrad Raiser from the Evangelical Church
in Germany.

World Council of Churches
Press and Information Office
Tel:  (41.22) 791.61.52/51