From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Group explores orthodox, Wesleyan spirituality

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 08 Feb 1999 11:50:30

Feb. 8, 1999	Contact: Linda Bloom*(212) 870-3803*New York
10-21-71B{072}

NOTE TO EDITORS: The spelling of S T Kimbrough Jr.'s name is correct - there
are no periods after S T.

NEW YORK (UMNS) -- A January consultation on "Orthodox and Wesleyan
Spirituality" was successful enough to spur a second dialogue on the issue
and may lead to the development of joint worship resources.

The United Methodist Board of Global Ministries and St. Vladimir's Orthodox
Theological Seminary sponsored the consultation, held at the seminary on the
outskirts of New York City.

Participants from the Orthodox and Methodist faith traditions discovered
"considerable common ground," according to the Rev. S T Kimbrough Jr., the
board's associate general secretary for mission evangelism.

"I think it (the consultation) could provide new directions for ecumenical
relations and understanding," he said.

Kimbrough and the Rev. Leonid Kishkovsky, ecumenical officer of the Orthodox
Church in America and former president of the National Council of Churches,
helped organize the event, in cooperation with Dean Thomas Hopko of the
seminary.

Participants and presenters consisted of scholars, clergy and laity from the
United Methodist, British Methodist, Methodist Church in Singapore, Orthodox
Church in America, Bulgarian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox and Russian Orthodox
churches.

"In the post-modern world in which we live, it is vital to grasp the
realities among other Christians and churches if we want our churches to be
faithful in mission and witness to Scripture, tradition, the contexts in
which they are found, and to one another," Kimbrough said.

Themes such as the Holy Trinity, holiness, perfection, salvation, music and
worship were discussed in formal lectures, informal resource groups and
plenary sessions during the Jan. 9-15 consultation. Morning and evening
prayer services reflected both the Orthodox and Wesleyan traditions.

An open forum moderated by Kishkovsky and the Rev. Randolph Nugent, the
board's top staff executive, addressed two questions: How realistic is what
we are talking about in this consultation for our own tradition? What are
the implications for our own churches and their relations with each other?

The papers that were presented are being published as a book, Kimbrough
said, and a second consultation is being planned for some time in 2000. "We
want to prepare a booklet of worship resources for all participants next
time," he added.