From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACSWP Cuts Sexual-Orientation Section from its Report

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 08 Feb 1999 20:05:54

99049

    ACSWP Cuts Sexual-Orientation Section
    from its Report on Building Community

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Trying to salvage a tortured report on rebuilding urban
community life in the United States, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
Advisory Committee on Social Witness Policy (ACSWP) has removed a section
on the issue of sexual orientation.

    The committee, which met here Jan. 14-17, relegated the divisive issue
to a section near the end of its 70-page policy statement, adding it to a
list of issues that must be addressed at some point in the future. The
document, "Building Community Among Strangers," and recommendations growing
out of it, are to be presented to the upcoming General Assembly in Fort
Worth, Texas.

    The committee voted unanimously to eliminate a brief section that
concluded: "To build community, we will need to do a lot of listening
inside and outside the church: to gay and lesbian persons, and to those
among us who are pained at challenges to their understanding and
interpretation that scriptures condemn homosexuality."

    Committee member Laverne Feaster, of Little Rock, Ark., argued, "This
document is so important that we shouldn't let this issue dominate it."

    Feaster, an African-American, added: "We went through this with race
issues. We have to decide what we can do. Save this issue for another
time."

    The Rev. Donald Shriver, the ACSWP chair, concurred. "I agree that we
should gently push aside this section of the report," he said, "but lift it
up as an issue the church still needs to face."

    "Building Community Among Strangers" has been embattled almost from its
inception. Critics of a "study guide" that preceded the policy statement
itself complained that it was lacking in biblical and theological
foundation and promoted "universalism" rather than salvation through Jesus
Christ alone.

    The 1998 General Assembly cautioned ACSWP to produce a policy statement
that "is clearly centered around the confessional and biblical teachings
about Christ as Lord of all the world and its only hope of reconciliation,
and embodies a tone of mutual respect for differing opinions within our
church."

    ACSWP members, having used their last meeting to beef up the report's
biblical and theological underpinnings and this meeting to excise the
section on sexual orientation, now believe "Building Community Among
Strangers" will be adopted by the Assembly.

    The report begins with the biblical affirmation "that there is one
humanity created in the image of God," then addresses the divisions that it
says have rent the fabric of community life in the United States - racism,
classism, religious intolerance, discrimination against women and immigrant
groups, and economic dislocations.

    In nearly 50 recommendations, the report proposes a variety of
including the designation of the year 2002 as the "Year for Building
Community Among Strangers."

    During this meeting, the ACSWP put the finishing touches on a number of
other reports also going to this year's Assembly. Among them:

      A Resolution on Immigrants, Refugees and Asylum Seekers - which notes
that "Jesus Christ comes to us in the form of `the stranger,'" and "points
to the need for vigorous and persistent advocacy for these new neighbors in
our midst who often find themselves highly vulnerable to mistreatment and
deprivation."
     * A Resolution on Clergy/Parishioner Confidentiality that accompanies
       a proposed amendment of "The Book of Order" to assert the right to
       confidentiality and protect ministers from state compulsion to
       reveal confidential information.
     * A Resolution on Tobacco, which urges congregations and sessions to
       support smoking-cessation programs.
     * A Resolution on Managed Care that reaffirms a long-standing General
       Assembly policy supporting "the right of every person to have access
       to quality health care that is adequate, affordable and
       accountable," and asking various church agencies to advocate for
       that policy and educate people about developments in managed care.
     * A Resolution on the Curtailment of Healthcare Services Resulting
       from Hospital Mergers Involving Roman Catholic Hospitals -
       expressing concern to the Roman Catholic Church about the effects of
       mergers involving its hospitals, which typically extend restrictive
       policies on family planning and abortion services to the previously
       non-Catholic institutions.