From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

85,000 Congregations Get NCC's Earth Day Mailing

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 10 Feb 1999 20:05:34

99043

    85,000 Congregations Get NCC's Earth Day Mailing

    by Wendy S. McDowell
    NCC Office of News Services

NEW YORK -- A National Council of Churches (NCC) mailing on consumerism,
which encourages people of faith to live more simply by reducing their
consumption of resources and manufactured goods, has been sent to 85,000
congregations - including those of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) -- in
preparation Earth Day, April 22.

    "For Christians, consumerism is a religious issue for a number of
reasons having to do both with justice for the world's poor and justice for
all creation," said Richard Killmer, director of the NCC's environmental
justice office. "We in the United States consume a disproportionate amount
of the world's resources while the poor of the world, including those in
the United States, consume less than they need. ... We need to use the
resources of creation carefully, to witness that we care about creation and
about justice and fairness for all people."

    Consumerism is also important, Killmer added, "in terms of what it does
to us. When we define ourselves by what we buy and what we consume, this is
a very different idea of humanity than the one defined by God and our
faith. Jesus taught us that our first task is to seek God's kingdom."

    Suggested ways of cutting consumption include conserving energy in the
home and choosing public transportation, walking or bicycling instead of
driving a car.

    The 1999 Earth Day mailing includes bulletin inserts, sermon notes,
worship suggestions for April 25 (the Sunday after Earth Day), a resource
list of materials on consumption and environmental justice, and an
Environmental Justice Covenant Congregation form - through which a session
promises that its congregation will be engaged in environmental ministries.

    Additional copies of the Earth Day mailing are available for 50 cents
by calling 1-800-762-0968 and requesting product # EJ9935  The materials
are also available on the World Wide Web at www.webofcreation.org