From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Churchwide agencies look at program budget needs for 2001-2004

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 12 Feb 1999 13:34:42

Feb. 12, 1999	Contact: Thomas S. McAnally*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
10-71B{084}

By Tom McAnally*

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) -- On the heels of one of the best financial years
in United Methodist history, representatives of churchwide agencies met Feb.
8-11 to discuss program and funding needs for the years 2001-2004.

Each of the church's eight program agencies brought detailed requests for
financial support from the denomination's World Service Fund, but most of
the meeting time was spent sharing programs and visions for the future. No
bottom-line cost was projected at the consultation.

Participants included the top staff executives and two other governing board
representatives from each agency, along with teams of voting members and
staff from the General Council on Ministries (GCOM) and the General Council
on Finance and Administration (GCFA). Representatives of the National Youth
Ministry Organization also attended.

World Service is the denomination's primary mission fund, which local
churches support through fair share payments called apportionments. The
total World Service budget for the current quadrennium, or four-year period,
is $253.6 million. That represents no increase in funding for 1997 or 1998,
a 2 percent increase in 1999, and a 2 percent increase in 2000.

For the first time in a decade, giving to World Service in 1998 was at 90
percent.

"We feel good about the finances of the church," Sandra Kelley Lackore, GCFA
staff executive, told participants in the program budget consultation.  Her
enthusiasm was tempered, however,  by what she called "pressure points" in
the new quadrennium. Those will include the cost of the church's 10-day
General Conference in 2004, which is expected to reach about $5 million,  a
150 percent increase over the 2000 conference set for Cleveland.

The consultation represented a significant departure from the
budget-building process of the past, when teams from GCOM and GCFA met with
each program agency separately. The process of having agency members share
their ministries and visions with each other was applauded by many
participants.

The head of the GCOM team, Betty Gordon of Bluefield, W.Va., praised the
agency leaders for sharing how they are working together. "I am particularly
pleased when I hear a representative praise the work being done by another
agency."

Some agency members expressed dismay at the apparent belief across the
church that agencies do not work cooperatively. On the other hand, one
agency executive acknowledged that such a meeting, with its openness and
lack of competitiveness, could not have happened earlier because of
"individual thrusts within the organization that take time to turn around."

At its April 23-27 meeting, GCOM will decide the total amount needed for
2001-2004 to cover regular church programs, missional priorities and special
programs. In May, the GCFA will act on GCOM's proposal and determine the
total sum of World Service money available to the church's program agencies
in the new quadrennium. As one participant explained, this will be the World
Service "pie before slicing." GCOM will communicate that amount to the
agencies, which will be invited to provide further information and
suggestions.

A second program and budget consultation is scheduled for Sept. 9-10 in
Nashville. It will include representatives of all eight program agencies.
GCOM and GCFA team members will determine at the close of the consultation
the recommended amounts of World Service money to be allocated to each of
the agencies.

Meeting together Nov. 12-16,  the entire governing membership of GCOM and
GCFA will agree on a recommendation to the 2000 General Conference regarding
World Service Fund allocations to each agency.

Leading up to the program budget process, agencies were asked by GCOM to
identify their needs in light of a statement on "Fulfilling Christ's Mission
in the Life of the United Methodist church." (See UMNS #647, Nov. 4, 1998,
for full text.) Twelve points are identified as crucial in making disciples
of Jesus Christ. These include "inviting and nurturing people in spiritual
growth, centered in scripture and our Wesleyan heritage," and "developing
lay and clergy leaders empowered by the Holy Spirit to lead the church in
spiritual transformation and service."

Representatives of all the agencies were involved in the development of the
statement, noted David Lundquist, top staff executive of Dayton, Ohio,-based
GCOM. "While it is not a final or perfect statement, it has helped shape the
program needs of the program agencies as they look toward the new
quadrennium," he said.

Lundquist stressed the importance of agencies becoming advocates for each
other as they approach the General Conference. "In addition to individual
needs, it is important that we are in mission together," he said.

As each individual agency reported, others in the room frequently affirmed
their ministry and shared how they were cooperating. The Rev. Roger Ireson,
staff executive of the Board of Higher Education and Ministry in Nashville,
observed that there isn't a board, agency or commission in the church that
hasn't assisted in the development of Africa University.

The Rev. Randolph Nugent, staff executive of the Board of Global Ministries
in New York, criticized those who are overly concerned about duplication of
efforts by churchwide agencies. "Working in tandem doesn't mean we are doing
identical things and are tripping over one another," he said.

Participants stopped frequently for both planned and impromptu worship,
prayer, meditation and singing.

Some participants encouraged agencies not to limit their visions by what
money may or may not be available in the church. "I've heard a lot about
financial responsibility," said Bishop Clifton Ives, of  the West Virginia
Area,  "but we must not operate out of a model of scarcity. Even if we can't
do all we want, we must be able to say we didn't cut back because resources
are scarce ... the church must be challenged about its abundance. God has
blessed us abundantly." Ives is president of the church's Commission on
Religion and Race.

On the other hand, Bishop Richard Looney of the South Georgia Area., said
dreams must be balanced with realism. Noting a lack of trust in many
congregations, he said, "Mission is carried on the shoulders of those who
give and many feel they are struggling back home." Looney is president of
Evanston, Ill.,-based GCFA.

Several participants expressed uncertainty about the mission and ministry of
church agencies in light of a proposal going to the General Conference from
the Connectional Process Team (CPT), which has been asked to lead the
denomination in a "transformational direction." Its tasks, assigned by the
1996 General Conference, include designing an organizational structure for
the church's work. Bishop Sharon Brown Christopher of the Illinois Area,
chairs the 38-member group. The first draft of the CPT's report to the
conference is to be released later this month.

# # #

*McAnally is director of United Methodist News Service.

United Methodist News Service
http://www.umc.org/umns/
newsdesk@umcom.umc.org
(615)742-5472