From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

India urged to defend religious liberties

From press@eauk.org
Date 12 Feb 1999 13:50:23

For Immediate Release: 12th February 1999

The Council of the Evangelical Alliance UK today backed a campaign by the
Alliance of Asian Christians to end the persecution of Christians in India.

Pradip Sudra, executive secretary of the Alliance of Asian Christians told the
Alliance's Council of the escalating level of persecution in the country. In India's
first 50 years of independence there had been just 50 incidents of religious
persecution against Christians, compared with 109 in the last nine months.

The Alliance's Council will call on the Government to put pressure on the Indian
authorities to fulfil their constitutional and international duty to defend the lives
and religious freedoms of all people in India.

Rev Robert Amess, chair of the Alliance's council, said: "Ever since 1846 the
Evangelical Alliance has been making a stand for religious liberty. We are
continuing our historic role of supporting all Christians who suffer for their faith,
wherever that may be in the world.

"I encourage everyone to stand alongside our Indian brothers and sisters at this
time of crisis."

:: The Alliance of Asian Christians is organising a silent march, culminating in a
prayer vigil outside the Indian High Commission in London on March 6th. The
Evangelical Alliance is urging its members to take part in this event. Further
details can be obtained from the Alliance of Asian Christians on 0121-633 4533.

ENDS

For further information, contact:

Gavin Drake, gdrake@eauk.org
0171 207 2117 or + 44 171 207 2117