From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Opposition to Lutheran-Episcopal Proposal Organizing

From NEWS <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 12 Feb 1999 15:09:13

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 12, 1999

OPPOSITION TO LUTHERAN-EPISCOPAL PROPOSAL ORGANIZING
99-30-FI

     MAHTOMEDI, Minn. (ELCA) -- While expressing support for a
relationship of "full communion" between the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA) and The Episcopal Church, almost 200 Lutherans gathered
here at St. Andrew's Lutheran Church and resolved that the current
Lutheran proposal, "Called to Common Mission," is not the way to
accomplish it.
     Speakers addressed the audience before participants shared their
views and drafted and approved a sample resolution for ELCA congregations
and synod assemblies to send to the Churchwide Assembly next August in
Denver.  The Feb. 8-9 conference also began developing a strategy to
educate Lutherans on the content of "Called to Common Mission" (CCM) and
reasons for opposing it.
     The sample resolution asks "that the 1999 Churchwide Assembly reject
the document 'Called to Common Mission,'" while reaffirming the Lutheran
"commitment to continue to work together with our Episcopal neighbors in
common faith and mission, gathering at the Lord's Table and sharing in
each other's ministry."
     The resolution continued, "We acknowledge the ordination of
Episcopal clergy, and welcome them to serve in ELCA parishes or pastoral
positions, preaching and teaching in a manner that is consistent with the
ELCA's 'Confession of Faith.'"
     The Rev. Roger C. Eigenfeld, St. Andrew's Lutheran Church, opened
the conference, "Upholding Lutheran Confessions," by saying the ELCA has
been flooded with speeches and materials about why CCM should be approved,
but the purpose of the conference was to express opposite viewpoints.
"You will not hear both sides of the issue here," he said.
     A round of Lutheran-Episcopal dialogues that began in 1983 developed
a proposal for full communion between the two churches, "The Concordat of
Agreement," and issued it in 1991.  During that period, the American
Lutheran Church (ALC) and the Lutheran Church in America (LCA) merged with
the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches to form the ELCA.
     A convention of the Episcopal Church approved the Concordat in 1997.
The ELCA assembly that year defeated the proposal by six votes and asked
that the Concordat be revised, taking the assembly's debate into account
and clarifying the technical language of the dialogue.
     "I am disappointed -- first with the Concordat and now with the
revision -- that they make it necessary for us to adopt the historic
episcopate," said the Rev. Robert J. Marshall, Chicago, former LCA
president.
     Lutherans and Episcopalians agree on the doctrine of "apostolic
succession," an ongoing faithful proclamation of Christ; Episcopalians
bring to the relationship the "historic episcopate," a succession of
bishops as a sign of unity back to the earliest days of the Christian
church.
     Marshall asked the conference if the historic episcopate is "not
only essential but good and useful for the church," and he supplied his
answer: "No."
     "I am not in favor of the Concordat in its present form because it
is not the best for ecumenism," said Marshall.  "One church would have to
become like the other."
     Marshall said the full communion agreement the ELCA has with the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Reformed Church in America and United Church
of Christ is "the model for future full communion agreements."  It allows
for recognition of each others' ministries without the need to change
structures or understandings of ministry, he said.
     "The Episcopal refusal to accept us 'as we are' is at the center of
our disagreement," said the Rev. David W. Preus, Minneapolis, former ALC
presiding bishop.  The historic episcopate is not bad, he said, but
Lutherans would not be considering it if it were not being required for
full communion.
     Preus said the Reformation of the Western Church in the 16th century
was needed because the church was placing itself between God and "the
priesthood of all believers."  Saying word and sacrament ministry can only
be done by those ordained by certain bishops would limit the mission and
ministry of the church not enhance it, he said.  "God is not tied to any
particular priesthood."
     Incorporating the historic episcopate would hinder the ELCA's
ecumenical relationships with churches other than the Episcopal Church,
Preus said.
     "I affirm the closest possible relationships with our Episcopal
brothers and sisters within the bounds of our integrity," said the Rev.
Lowell O. Erdahl, Roseville, Minn., former bishop of the ALC's
Southeastern Minnesota District and the ELCA's Saint Paul Area Synod.
     "My problem with the Concordat and its current revision is not that
it is too ecumenical but that it is not ecumenical enough," said Erdahl.
He called requiring the historic episcopate for full communion "an insult
to the unity that we have in Jesus Christ."
     Erdahl said Lutherans are considering the historic episcopate only
"to be nice ... to go along to get along."
     "Always keep in mind that this is not an ecumenical issue but a
ministry and mission issue," said the Rev. Michael Rogness, professor of
homiletics, Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minn.  While full communion and the
mission of the church are often given as reasons for supporting CCM, he
said those who oppose the proposal also favor full communion and mission.
     "It is dishonest for us to say the historic episcopate will not
change our theology or the way we do things," said Rogness.  "'Called to
Common Mission' proposes a fundamentally different ministry than what the
Augsburg Confession intends."  The Augsburg Confession is a 16th century
summary of Lutheran doctrine which the ELCA accepts as "a true witness to
the gospel."
     On the conference's strategy, Rogness suggested participants focus
on communicating with the ELCA Churchwide Assembly through resolutions
from synod assemblies this spring.
     "'Called to Common Mission' is the wrong way to the right thing,"
said the Rev. Mark A. Granquist, assistant professor of religion, St. Olaf
College, Northfield, Minn.  "We are not against declaring our Christian
unity with other churches," he said.  "We are not against the Episcopal
Church."
     "Jesus Christ declares that the Holy Spirit has already made us one
... united with other Christians," said Granquist.  "Ecumenism is
recognizing the unity that already exists."
     Granquist called the historic episcopate "a failed paradigm."  "It
has not worked for the Episcopal Church, and it won't work for us," he
said.
     Those who oppose CCM have endured a lot of unfounded criticism, said
the Rev. James M. Kittelson, professor of church history, Luther Seminary,
St. Paul, Minn.  "Just say no to this litany of shame and blame," he said.
     "We are told that our own lack of the historic episcopate is an
accident of history," said Kittelson.  The historic episcopate of the
Anglican Communion that U.S. Lutherans are being asked to adopt is an
accident of 16th century European politics, he said, "a pious fraud at
best."
     Kittelson said other churches that have the historic episcopate,
such as the Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches, do not recognize the
Anglican historic episcopate.
     The Rev. Marc Kolden, academic dean, Luther Seminary, St. Paul,
Minn., discussed the strategy the group might take toward getting its
message before ELCA members, especially the ELCA Churchwide Assembly.
     Kolden advised the group to have a substitute motion ready if CCM
fails to win a two-thirds majority at the Churchwide Assembly.  The
substitute "would serve notice that 'Called to Common Mission' is in such
trouble that it is a lose-lose proposition," he said, and it could allow
the assembly to vote against CCM without voting against the Episcopal
Church.
     Kolden urged conference participants to talk with others in their
congregations.  Lay people understand that ministry in the 21st century
will require more flexibility not less, he said.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html