From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventists: Health Yes, Beer No

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 13 Feb 1999 09:36:31

February 7, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventists: Health Yes, Beer No

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA, 07.02.1999  [ANN/APD] A
recent press report highlights a beer brand that has
gained Kosher certification and states that this will
interest those who wish to have natural and healthy
products.  The report then goes on to identify those
interested in healthy products as including Seventh-
day Adventists.

"While we are a Christian denomination dedicated to
healthful living, the last thing we're about to buy is
beer," says Tom Neslund, associate director for Health
Ministries at the Adventist Church's World
Headquarters. "Adventists have promoted an alcohol-
free lifestyle for 136 years. Knowing what alcohol
does to the body, we cannot agree that any beer,
however produced, can be 'healthy.'"

The Adventist Church promotes non-drinking as part of
a complete lifestyle that focuses on healthy diet,
exercise and avoidance of alcohol, tobacco and drug
abuse. [99/05/03]