From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Egypt: No Examinations On Sabbaths

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 13 Feb 1999 09:36:52

February 7, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Egypt: No Examinations On Sabbaths At Zeitoun Primary
School

Cairo, Egypt. [ANR/APD]  Zeitoun Primary School is in
the heart of Heliopolis, a suburb of the Metropolis of
Cairo. "The school has an enrolment of 1,248 students
of whom 53% are Christians", says Peter Zarka,
president of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Egypt.
"The number of Adventist students belonging to
Adventist parents is 70.  Only 27% of the teachers
are Seventh-day Adventists."

Dr Hanna Malaka, the principal, enjoys the respect of
the authorities and has some influence on decisions
made affecting the school.  "This year was especially
difficult", says Malaka, "but the Lord helped us again
to secure that in our school there would be no
examination on Saturdays.  One of the challenges faced
by Adventist families in our country is giving their
children an education without violating their belief
in the sanctity of the Sabbath.  We thank God that in
the past few years our Adventist students have been
able to sit their exams on days other than the
Sabbath.  Non-Adventist students may choose to sit
their exams in other schools, as Zeitoun school will
be closed on Saturdays."

Dr Malaka's determination, the kindness of the
Education officials and our hope combined with the
grace of God will ensure more victories as we pray and
wait for them. [99/04/06]