From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Sao Tome/Principe: President Commends Adventist Church

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 13 Feb 1999 09:37:00

February 7, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Sao Tome and Principe: President Commends Adventist
Church

Sao Tome, [APD] Miguel Trovoada, president of the
Republic of Sao Tome and Principe welcomed the
January 19, visit of Robert S. Folkenberg, president
of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, and said that
he appreciates the activities of the Adventist Church
in his country.

"I am very happy to welcome you today," said Trovoada.
"The work of your Church in our country is very much
appreciated because of the beneficial influence it
exerts upon its population. Our democratic policy
promotes the practice of religious liberty as far as
it lays within the framework of respect of the
citizens' rights and duties and promotes man's moral
values and dignity."

Folkenberg was accompanied by Ulrich Frikart, Ulrich
Frikart, president of the Adventist's Euro-Africa
Division whose territory includes Sao Tome, and
Maurice Verfaillie, director of the Department of
Public Affairs and Religious Liberty of the same
Division. The church leaders had the opportunity to
better explain to the President of the Republic the
mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church and the
spirit in which it develops its activities.

The tiny volcanic islands of Sao Tome and Principe lie
in the Gulf of Guinea about 150 miles (240 km) off
West Africa. The former Portuguese territory became
autonomous in April 1995.[99/04/03]