From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AWR Sponsors Broadcasts In Kazakstan And Kyrgyzstan

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 13 Feb 1999 09:37:27

February 12, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist World Radio Sponsors Broadcasts In Kazakstan
And Kyrgyzstan

Tula, Russia. [APD/AWR] The Adventist World Radio
Administrative Committee recently voted to sponsor
broadcasts in Kazakh, Kyrgyz and Russian, heard
throughout the republics of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan,
as well as part of Uzbekistan, according to Don
Jacobsen, AWR president. AWR shares the sponsorship
with the Southern Union of the Euro-Asia Division
(ESD) of Seventh-day Adventists.

Formerly broadcast on AWR's shortwave schedule, Kazakh
and Kyrgyz have been transferred to the facilities of
Kazakstan Radio and Kyrgyz Radio through a leasing
arrangement which began in October 1998 and will
continue through 1999 on a renewable basis.  The
programs, heard four times a week on AM and FM
stations through the countries, are produced by
Adventists who speak those languages.

"We have already received many calls," says Victor
Rabinovich, director of the Voice of Hope studio in
Almaty, Kazakhstan, which was funded by AWR, and where
programs in Kazakh and Kyrgyz are produced.  "People
thank us for the program, and ask us to keep on
broadcasting."  The Russian programs are produced at
the ESD's Voice of Hope Media Centre in Tula, Russia

"We estimate that there's a potential audience of
something over 20 million people who will be able to
hear the broadcasts," says Bert Smit, AWR's region
director for Europe and the Commonwealth of
Independent States (CIS).  "Since these countries were
former members of the USSR, at least 25 percent of the
population speak Russian, so we are happy with the mix
of languages being broadcast."

Smit said that the ESD is also exploring the
possibilities of getting Uzbek on to a national
network in Uzbekistan.  C. Lee Huff, President of ESD,
says "These broadcasts are a vital part of the
outreach for the Seventh-day Adventist Southern Union
of Euro-Asia Division."

"AWR is pleased to participate with the ESD in these
broadcasts," says Jacobsen.  "We hope that  listeners
will gain  a positive understanding of life through
the health and family messages of the Voice of Hope."
[99/03/07]