From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Angola: First Religion and Human Rights Seminar

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 13 Feb 1999 09:37:59

February 12, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Angola: Adventist Church Sponsors First Religion and
Human Rights Seminar

Luanda, Angola. [APD]  Amidst war and civil unrest,
pastors of the Seventh-day Adventist Church gathered
in Luanda on the eve of the 75th anniversary of the
Adventist Mission in Angola and hold the first
Religion and Human Rights Seminar.

"This is the first time that a seminar on freedom of
conscience and religion has been organized since
1924," said Vasco Cubenda, president of the Seventh-
day Adventist Church in Angola.

The meetings brought together more than 70 pastors
from the four local missions in Angola, one of the 31
countries in the Euro-Africa region of the of the
Seventh-day Adventist Church with headquarters in
Berne, Switzerland.  More than a dozen of these
pastors came from  Huambo, in Western Central Angola.

"The city of Huambo, where the headquarters of the
Union are located, is presently encircled by the armed
forces of UNITA, hostile to the ruling government,"
said Maurice Verfaillie, Public Affairs and Religious
Liberty (PARL) director for the Seventh-day Adventist
Euro-Africa Division. "The seminar participants effort
to be present was a testimony to their faith and to
their interest for a better exercise of their
ministry."

Discussion topics for the seminar dealt with issues
surrounding the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
and religious freedom in Europe and Angola.

"This seminar answered a need in our country and in
our church," said Cubenda.  "We need to better
understand the meaning of our relationship with the
public authorities and the implications of the right
of respect for religious freedom and conscience."

Robert S. Folkenberg, president of the Seventh-day
Adventist World Church, joined thousands of Angolan
believers in their anniversary celebration in Luanda
over the weekend. [99/03/01]