From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

German Survey: Few of Ten Commandments Important

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 13 Feb 1999 09:38:11

February 7, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

German Survey Shows Few of Ten Commandments Seen as
Important

Hamburg, Germany. [APD] A survey published
in the Hamburg-based news magazine "Spiegel spezial"
reveals that most Germans do not view all Ten
Commandments as important. Under the headline of "Few
Want to Honor God and Keep the Sabbath" the magazine
printed the results of the survey carried out by the
Emnid-Institute located in Bielefeld.

The least important commandment, according to the
survey, is the first: "I am the Lord your God, you
shall have no other gods beside me." Only 33 per cent
of those surveyed considered it important. "Only four
of Christianity's Ten Commandments are viewed as
significant by almost all German men and women,"
commented "Spiegel spezial". "A much higher number of
Germans find it important to honour their parents than
to be faithful to their spouse."

The commandment accepted by most Germans (97 per cent)
is "You shall not Kill." Other largely accepted
commandments are "You shall honour thy father and
mother" and "Thou shalt not steal." Germans are less
strict regarding their sexual morals: 75 per cent
consider it important to condemn adultery.

The magazine also reported that few accepted the
commandment: "You shall remember the Sabbath day to
keep it holy."

"Only 18 per cent of Catholics and 5 per cent of
Protestants regularly attend worship," according to
Holger Teubert, spokesman the Seventh-day Adventist
Church in Germany. "It is therefore not surprising,
that the observance of the day of rest in this country
today has only little importance," said Teubert.

"As an Adventist, it is distressing to see the decline
in moral and ethical values in today's society," said
Ekkehardt Mueller, associate director of the Adventist
Church's Biblical Research Institute. "The ten
commandments are very important to the Christian, not
as a means of salvation, but as vital indicators for a
happy life. God gave us the commandments to help guide
us, and we if we disregard them, it will be our loss."