From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ADRA South Sudan Compound Reported Burnt, Looted

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 13 Feb 1999 09:38:21

February 12, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

ADRA South Sudan Compound Reported Burnt, Looted

Nairobi, Kenya.[ADRA/APD] The Adventist Development
and Relief Agency (ADRA) compound in Chukudum,
south Sudan, was reportedly burnt and looted on
January 16 and 17 while two local military factions
spent three days fighting nearby.

The United Nations helped evacuate 14 ex-patriot ADRA
staff to Lokichoggio, Kenya, the United
Nations/Operation Lifeline Sudan (UN/OLS) headquarters
in northern Kenya, after the staff spent three days
hiding. ADRA is a member of the UN/OLS consortium of
40 non-governmental organisations (NGOs).

"While bullets from the warring factions flew through
Chukudum and the surrounding hills, ADRA staff hid in
a roofed bomb shelter, bullets continuing to whiz over
their heads," reports Robin Willison, ADRA South Sudan
project director and acting country director. "There
was no food or water except when someone was brave
enough to venture out for a few minutes, at peril to
their lives."

Not only was the compound reportedly burnt and looted
during the fighting, but several of ADRA's six
vehicles may have been removed. "I'm not sure what is
going to happen with these vehicles or to our
compound," says Willison, "but I expect it will be a
few more weeks before the UN goes in to check on the
situation and give our employees the approval to go
back to work. This emergency occurred in a location
where there was previously little insecurity."

Most recently, ADRA has been operating a US$3 million
United States Agency for International Development
(USAID)-funded child survival and veterinary health
care project. A further US$238,000 provided by the
Dutch Government is enabling ADRA's team to renovate
38 water pumps, which have fallen into a state of
disrepair. In Western Equatoria, large grants from
Denmark and Sweden are enhancing educational
opportunities for these desperately poor people.

In partnership with other NGOs, among them the United
Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and World Vision
International, ADRA distributed 98 tons of food
biscuits and 20.58 tons of the milk powder to an
estimated population of 143,000 moderately and
severely malnourished people in Bahr el Ghazal and
eastern Equatorial regions of south Sudan since early
July this year.

"After the UN security appraisal, ADRA will have more
definite information on the situation in Chukudum,"
says Randy Purviance, ADRA senior grants
administrator. [99/03/02]