From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"connecXions99" for Young Adult Adventists

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 13 Feb 1999 09:38:26

February 7, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Young Adults to Convene at Adventist World
Headquarters for "connecXions99"

Silver Spring,MD, USA. [ANN/APD] On April 14-17,.
the Seventh-day Adventist World Church Headquarters
will host the largest Adventist young-adult
convention, "connecXions99", where more than 800
young adults will meet to network, strengthen existing
youth ministries, and formulate new ministries.

"ConnecXions99 is for young adults, age 20 to 35, who
are or want to be involved in any form of Christian
ministry," says Shasta Burr, a conneXions99 co-
ordinator.  "Sometimes we can graduate from college
and then wonder where our place is in the church.
That is why connecXions99 co-ordinators are making an
effort to reach out to young Adventist professionals."

ConnecXions99 comes on the heels of "eXcite98", a
young adult conference held last August at La Sierra
University in Riverside California.  Burr, along with
friend Jennifer Tyner helped co-ordinate eXcite98.  A
Seminary student at Andrews University, Burr has been
corresponding with hundreds of young adults, sharing
with each other incredible stories of faith.

"I truly have a passion in my heart right now for
where God is leading this generation. More than 1,000
attended in Riverside and momentum was established for
another young adult gathering," says Burr.  "Our
generation shouldn't fall into the trap of complaining
about the church.  Rather, we want to come together
and give our talents and dreams to make this church
even stronger."

Coming together for conneXions99 promises to be an
outpouring of talents, dreams, and vision for this
generation of young adults.  Featured activities
include inspiring presentations from young leaders,
ministry "brain-storming" sessions, and dialogue with
North American Division (NAD) Church leaders in
establishing and co-ordinating new ministries.  A
conference goal is to raise US$250,000 to be directed
toward several of the most compelling ministry ideas
of young adults.

"The goal is to build enthusiasm among participants,
who will then return to local churches with a shared
vision for ministry," says Burr.

This enthusiasm to share a "vision for ministry" is
evident in the mission statement for connecXions99
which reads: "Young adults connecting, collaborating
and creating a new generation of ministries to finish
the job God gave us."

"God is calling our generation forward," says Burr.
"We are building bridges with our Church in order to
make positive contributions for God."

Registration for connecXions99 is limited to 800
people. Registration can be done on the World Wide
Web at www.conneXions99.com or by calling the U.S.
phone number 1-800-SDA-PLUS. [99/05/05]