From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist World Church President Resigns

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 13 Feb 1999 09:38:43

Februar 10, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist World Church President Resigns

Basel, Switzerland. (ANN/APD) Robert S.
Folkenberg, president of the Seventh-day
Adventist Church, announced his decision to
resign at a specially-called meeting on February
8 at the Church's World Headquarters in Silver
Spring, Maryland. Folkenberg chose to personally
inform staff of his decision to tender his
resignation to the Church's Executive Committee.

Citing the controversy over allegations arising
from an on-going lawsuit, Folkenberg said that
this was "detracting from God's work" and so in
order "to avoid pain and conflict to my family
and the church I love I am removing myself from
the controversy." Concerns over business
relationships with James Moore, the plaintiff in
the lawsuit filed in Sacramento, California, had
led the Church to set up, with Folkenberg's
support, a special committee to address the
church-related issues. This committee reported to
the Church's Administrative Committee on January
27, 1999, which referred the issue to the
Church's full Executive Committee, the body
authorized to deal with such matters.

The son of missionaries, Folkenberg was born in
Puerto Rico and grew up in the U.S. and Cuba. He
began working for the Adventist Church as a
pastoral intern in 1963 and has worked as
evangelist, missionary pilot, and in a wide range
of leadership roles. He was elected president of
the Adventist World Church in 1990, at its
executive session in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Folkenberg's years as leader of the Adventist
Church have seen major advances in global mission
and the effective blending of cutting-edge
technology and evangelism. He personally led in
developing strategies to use satellite broadcasts
and the Internet in gospel outreach. As the
Church's "communication president," Folkenberg
has devoted a significant portion of his time to
visit and support the Church's mission around the
world. He emphasized the active role of laity in
ministry and witness as well as greater personal
and professional accountability at all levels of
the Church.

In his formal statement addressed to G. Ralph
Thompson, secretary of the Executive Committee,
Folkenberg said, "I will continue to give my all
to advancing the mission of the church."
According to the Church's working policy,
Thompson now serves as acting president until a
new president is elected by the full Church
Executive Committee in its meetings beginning
March 1.

The full text of Elder Folkenberg's statement
follows:

"From my early childhood as the son of missionary
parents in Inter-America, to my ministry as
General Conference President, my entire life has
been tirelessly and single-mindedly devoted to
advancing the message and mission of the Seventh-
day Adventist church.   However, over the last
few weeks it has become apparent to me that the
controversy surrounding the allegations of James
E. Moore, made in the context of his lawsuit
against the church and me, is detracting from
God's work.  While I have repeatedly and publicly
acknowledged mistakes in my dealings with Mr
Moore I rejoice that the integrity of my motives
has not been called into question.  However, to
avoid additional pain and conflict to my family
and the church I love I am removing myself from
the controversy by tendering my resignation
through you to the General Conference Executive
Committee.  I will continue to give my all to
advancing the mission of the church and I pray
that through this action the church can maintain
its focus on the task our Lord has entrusted to
us. -Robert S Folkenberg."

This news has also been published on February 8
by Adventist News Network (ANN).