From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Condemnation of Diallo Shooting

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 13 Feb 1999 13:10:43

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2252
Email: news@ncccusa.org; Web: www.ncccusa.org

17NCC2/13/99         FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC'S NATIONAL MINISTRIES DIRECTOR CONDEMNS
SHOOTING OF AMADOU DIALLO

NEW YORK, Feb. 13 ---- The Director of the National
Ministries Unit (NMU) of the National Council of Churches has
expressed his shock and horror at "yet another case of police
misuse of power, the case of Amadou Diallo."

Mr. Diallo, from Guinea, West Africa, immigrated to the
United States two years ago and lived a quiet life in New York
City.  But on Feb. 4, he was brutally shot to death just inside
the building where he lived, by four armed police officers. They
fired a total of 41 shots and he was hit 17 times, 11 times in
the legs.

The Rev. Dr. Staccato Powell, NCC Deputy General Secretary
and NMU Director, stated, "Christians and all people of faith are
saddened, shocked and deeply outraged by this latest example of
total disregard for the extraordinary gift of life that God has
given us. The attacks on unarmed people of color by those who see
themselves as powerful must be challenged and we must respond."

Amadou Diallo was unarmed and by all accounts, a gentle
person with no criminal record.  He was trying to maintain
financial independence as a street peddler.  He was 22 years old.

The president of the NAACP has also condemned the shooting
as "excessive force at its worst" and has met with the U.S.
Attorney General and other officials to look at the incident and
identify the causes.  The attorney for the accused police
officers, Stephen Worth, stated that "the officers had believed
Diallo had a gun" because he did not  respond to their spoken
commands and made motions that the officers interpreted as
threatening."

"We must seriously question why four armed officers who have
been members of an aggressive street crimes unit, each with five
to seven years experience, felt so threatened by one man that
they fired a total of 41 shots," Dr. Powell asked.

He further stated, "We are calling on the mayor of New York
City along with Police Commissioner Howard Safir to not only
launch a full investigation into the spate of attacks on people
of color by police officers but to form partnerships with those
community organizations who are already working to identify the
systemic and root causes of this particular kind of violence and
begin the process of organizing remedial action. We must all act
swiftly."

-end-
 -0-