From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Joel Edwards urges evangelicals to appreciate diversity

From "EAUK Press Office" <press@eauk.org>
Date 15 Feb 1999 06:01:14

For Immediate Release: 15/2/99

Evangelical Alliance General Director Joel Edwards has issued a
major challenge to evangelicals throughout the UK. In his new book
Lord Make Us One - But Not All The Same! Joel says that the only
way Christians will be able to stand together will be by releasing
each other to be different. This will mean appreciating and
encouraging legitimate diversity, and reaching out across the
evangelical/non-evangelical divide whenever and wherever possible.

In the concluding chapter he points out: "In the face of our
contemporary challenges we need each other. The great tendency
of historic evangelicalism is to pull apart as we grow stronger." To
do this is, he says, to miss the point. "None of us, on our own, is
likely to bring serious or lasting change to our world… It should not
be beyond the ability of evangelicals to join forces with non-
evangelicals, those of other faiths and no faith to act in the
common interest of our society on social or political issues"

The book examines the issue of evangelical unity from Joel's very
personal experience. Beginning with his early childhood in
Kingston, Jamaica the early chapters portray his move to England
aged 8 and focus on his formative years at school in Kentish Town.
As he grew up in the 1960's he contrasted the vibrant, spirit filled
worship of the nascent black churches with the stark contrast
prevalent among the mainstream British denominations.

The remaining biographical part of the book carries on his story,
from his time at London Bible College through to his current post
as General Director of EA. The extended CV is important because
Joel urges us to see that his life may be viewed as a paradigm for
diversity.

In the second half of the volume Joel analyses some of the positive
aspects of the growth of the evangelical movement during the last
30 years, such as the very significant cross-denominational
conferences that are now taking place. He notes some possible
tensions looming on the horizon which arise from the confusion
between our own cultural preferences and what is real Biblical
truth.

In the final chapters he examines the identity of evangelicals,
pointing out that the struggle for identity is not new. He challenges
Christians to reaffirm their commitment to the primary points of
scripture in order that they may grasp the capacity for positive
relationships with those beyond evangelical boundaries - including
Roman Catholic Christians. He also touches on the tensions
surrounding the growing phenomenon of evangelical Roman
Catholics.

Lord Make Us One then considers a theology of diversity. Joel
challenges all evangelical churches, including Black
Pentecostalists, to confront the common insecurity which tends to
rely on a theology of guilt by association. The book then seeks to
understand what it means to be a Pilgrim which, says Joel,
includes the validity of uncertainty. This means being "prepared to
take risks, and to venture where it is not safe". It means trusting
God even if we do not have all the answers immediately to hand.

Joel concludes with an analogy about the firing squad which stands
around its proposed victim in a circle. His final message is to urge
evangelicals not to shoot each other, but instead to be reconciled
to each other, for that is the only way that outreach will be
effective. "Our unity in diversity is therefore to be a unity with
purpose. Biblical unity is a means to an end, not an end in itself. It
has a mission focus." If that is the underlying imperative, maintains
Joel, Civil war between evangelicals is simply not an option.

ENDS

NOTES TO EDITORS:

Lord Make Us One - But Not All The Same! is published by Hodder
& Stoughton, and is priced at £6-99. Joel Edwards will attend a
book-launch at Church House Bookshop, Great Smith Street,
London at 1:00pm on Friday 19th February.  Public, press and
media are welcome to attend.  On Monday 22nd February, Joel
Edwards will embark on a 15-date UK tour speaking to church
leaders across the country as part of the Evangelical Alliance's
Shaping Tomorrow's Church tour.

For more information contact:

at Hodder & Stoughton
Eleanor Goody, eleanor.goody@hodders.co.uk