From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Donetta Wickstrom, George Inadomi Elected GAC Chair, Vice-chair

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 17 Feb 1999 20:06:58

99074

    Donetta Wickstrom, George Inadomi
    Elected GAC Chair, Vice-chair For 2000

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - A Minnesotan and a Californian have been chosen to lead
the General Assembly Council (GAC) into the year 2000.

    Donetta Wickstrom, a retired police officer from Duluth, Minn., and
George Inadomi, a businessman from South Pasadena, Calif., were elected GAC
chair and vice-chair, respectively, during the GAC's recent winter meeting
here.

      Wickstrom and Inadomi, who already have served three years on the
council, will assume their new duties when the 211th General Assembly
adjourns June 26.

    "I think there is some important business before the General Assembly
this year," Wickstrom told the Presbyterian News Service. She cited the new
Church Growth Strategy paper, a major statement on racism ("Facing Racism:
A Vision of the Beloved Community") and two controversial reports from
special committees: one reviewing the structure of the council itself (the
Special Committee on Review of the General Assembly) and the other
examining ways to better link the ministries of congregations,
presbyteries, synods and the Assembly (the Special Committee on Middle
Governing Bodies).

    "I am sure that out of that, there will be direction coming to the GAC
for us to implement and monitor," Wickstrom said. "We need to be attentive
to that."

    The new chair said she will emphasize partnership during her year of
leadership.

    Wickstrom, who has been involved in the work of the wider church since
the mid-1980s, is a member of the Glen Avon Presbyterian Church in Duluth,
in the Presbytery of Northern Waters. The presbytery is part of the Synod
of Lakes and Prairies. Wickstrom is currently vice-chair of the National
Ministries Division Committee, a position she will leave to serve as chair
of the GAC.

    She also has served as chair of the presbytery's council, as a
presbytery commissioner to the Minnesota Council of Churches and as a
member of the Presbytery of Northern Waters' Presbyterian Women's
Coordinating Team.

    She was a member of the 203rd General Assembly's Committee on
Peacemaking and International Relations in Baltimore, and was the
presbytery's liaison to the 204th General Assembly's Committee on Local
Arrangements in Milwaukee.

    She retired as a lieutenant on the Duluth police force after 31 years
of service, including 18 years as an investigator of child abuse and sexual
assault cases.

    Inadomi is a member of Calvary Presbyterian Church in South Pasadena,
Calif., which falls within the Presbytery of San Gabriel and the Synod of
Southern California and Hawaii.

    He was a pastor for 11 years after graduating from Fuller Theological
Seminary. He is a former moderator of San Gabriel Presbytery and chaired
that presbytery's task force to cut the staff budget by $35,000 in 1997. He
also was a commissioner to the 207th  General Assembly in Cincinnati.

    Inadomi believes that the "big problems" that have plagued the
denomination are now in the background, and that the church is moving
onward - but he sees opportunities as well as problems.

    "The problems we've faced since I've been on the GAC reflect the
strength of the church as well," he said, noting that the PC(USA) is a
diverse group that is reaching out in a broad range of ministries to the
world.

    "Though I've been a Presbyterian since my teenage years, I didn't
realize until my first General Assembly how little I knew about [the
church's ministries]," he said. "I knew so little about the breadth and
depth of what our church does. ... It's easy for me to get emotional about
how proud I am to be a Presbyterian."

    The current chair of the GAC is the Rev. Cathy Cummings Chisholm, of
Vandalia, Ill.; the vice-chair is James Nai-Ching Tse of New York City.