From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS FOR FEB. 19, 1999

From LEAH_MCCARTER.parti@ecunet.org (LEAH MCCARTER)
Date 18 Feb 1999 13:36:49

To: wfn-editors@wfn.org

American Baptist News Service
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: RICHARD.SCHRAMM@ABC-USA.ORG

UPDATE: February 19, 1999

AMERICAN BAPTIST MISSION SUPPORT
INCREASED SIGNIFICANTLY IN 1998
 With final figures now in place, American Baptist
Mission Support for 1998 has revealed a significant increase
in giving in almost all categories over 1997 totals.
The increase of 6.8 percent--or $2,652,668--brought
the 1998 receipt total to $41,620,717, or 106.5 percent of
last year's goal of $39,080,000.
 United Mission, which supports all areas of mission
undertaken by American Baptist Churches USA and which
constitutes approximately 55 percent of the total ABMS,
increased 2 percent ($423,418) to a total of $21,499,226, or
99.5 percent of its 1998 goal.  Dr. Robert H. Roberts,
associate general secretary for World Mission Support,
noted, "United Mission Basics increased by a half million
dollars--the best indicator of the enthusiasm for our work
together."
 All four national offerings also showed increases over
1997 figures and surpassed their 1998 goals: America For
Christ Offering (up 6.7 percent; receipts--$2,253,795),
World Mission Offering (up 3.5 percent; receipts--
$3,780,732), Retired Ministers and Missionaries Offering (up
2.8 percent; receipts--$1,650,776), and One Great Hour of
Sharing (up 39 percent; receipts--$2,855,967).
 Other areas showing increases over 1997 were Specifics
(up 18.4 percent) and Institutional Support (up 4.8
percent).
 In assessing the results of 1998 giving Roberts
praised American Baptists for their "faithfulness and
generosity in support of our common mission."
 "But it's not just the money that causes me to sing
'Hallelujah,'" he added.  "It's the mission--the ministry of
the grace of Christ in the lives of people that this support
makes possible--which merits the real 'Hallelujah!'"

YEAR 2000 CONCERNS ADDRESSED
BY AMERICAN BAPTIST CHURCHES USA
 Dr. Daniel E. Weiss, general secretary of American
Baptist Churches USA, has issued the following statement
focusing on possible changes and challenges accompanying the
arrival of the year 2000.

APPROACHING "Y2K"

 As we approach the year 2000 we see the challenging
vista of a new millennium of Christian witness.  We also see
the immediate and time-specific challenges--theological and
technological--of what is being called "The Y2K Dilemma."
 We realize that, for good reason, many Christians and
others are concerned with what may happen on January 1,
2000.
 There is a probability that we may need to deal with
some technological anomalies that will reveal themselves for
the first time then.  At the same time we will be well
served by diligently continuing our study of all Scripture--
not in an attempt to foresee through God’s Word some series
of events based on our own speculations, preconceptions and
prejudices, but rather to earnestly seek God's truth and
guidance at this milestone in human history.

The Technological Question
 We are a society heavily dependent on computer
technology.  Business and industry, but churches and mission
centers also, have well used this form of communication.  It
has enabled the expansion of mission as surely as it has
helped increase corporate profits.  Acknowledging its value,
certainly our intense focus on upgrading software programs
and replacing computer chips is justified.  It is no secret
that we are grappling now with what was inadvertently set in
motion years ago by computer programmers: In saving precious
digital space by eliminating the "19" from those dates that
run computers--and thus removing "1999"--they empowered
computers which will not have been updated to read January
1, 2000 as January 1, 1900.
 The glitch may cause the computerized financial
programs of some industries, utilities and other
organizations to operate erratically.  For that reason most
businesses and government offices have been scrambling to
update their programs to avoid potential problems.
 There is no evidence or likelihood, however, that the
dire and extreme predictions of some, both in the church and
outside the church, will bear fruit: entire regional
electric power grids becoming dysfunctional, banking systems
made inoperative, worldwide economic collapse, widespread
and deadly rioting over quickly-depleting food and other
resources.

The Theological Question
 All Christians should be wary of writers and
commentators who are making an inherent connection between
these computer-related problems and the fulfillment of
biblical prophecy.  Aided by some in various media, this
notion has plenty of "front-page" exposure but in reality is
antithetical to sound biblical teaching.  At best it is
well-intentioned but highly speculative interpretation of
the fulfillment of Scripture.  At worst it is the catalyst
for fear, self-preservation and violence--none of which are
worthy of a people committed to a loving God.
 Holy Scripture clearly speaks to what fear is and
should do.  The "fear of the Lord" called for in Proverbs is
"the beginning of knowledge, wisdom and instruction."  The
"fear" noted in Scripture produces focused reverence, not
destructive confusion.  It compels us to look more closely
at the loving Creator Whose will would be made known to us;
it strengthens our trust in God.  The God of Scripture does
not produce or encourage confusion.  Sowing the seeds of a
fear that causes confusion, and engaging in fear-mongering
that exacerbates it, surely saddens the heart of our God.
 God's timetable for the fulfillment of history is not
known to us, nor should it be.  We have been given two basic
truths to guide our lives in this regard.
 The first: Christians can see throughout the New
Testament the proclamation that "the day of the Lord will
come like a thief in the night" and "you will not know at
what hour I will come to you" (I Thessalonians 5:2; II Peter
3:10; Revelation 3:3; 16:15).  The second: We also are told
in no uncertain terms that believers must be prepared at all
times for the return of our Savior.  Vigilance and trust--
both dependent on unwavering faith in a steadfast God--are
the qualities God calls us to embrace now and always.  These
are the lessons of the parables of Matthew 24 and 25 and
Luke 12; they are the keys to the Kingdom.

What We Can Do
 It  is encouraging to know that believers from
virtually all traditions within Christian witness are
viewing the Y2K dilemma as an opportunity for witness.
 It is essential that Christians both address the Y2K
challenges and make preparations for dealing with possible
burdens that may arise because of them.  But our
preparations should be in anticipation of manageable
problems rather than world-devastating catastrophes.
 We ask that you prayerfully consider the following:
 1.  Be sure people in your church talk about these
issues.  Allowing unspoken or unresolved fears and concerns
to smolder is not spiritually or emotionally healthy.  Many
understandably have questions.  And while no one can predict
precisely what Y2K will bring, there nonetheless are many
answers we can offer.
 2.  Affirm that this is a special opportunity to
reemphasize that in times of uncertainty our reliance must
be on God, and an acceptance of God's perfect will.  God
truly is sovereign; God always is in total control.  Even if
the technological glitches prove to be minor, we must
acknowledge that our dependence on the things of this
world--things that fail us, that are unpredictable--is no
substitute for trusting in a steadfast God.
 3.  Emphasize the need for preparedness.  Scripture is
forthright in its call for believers to be ever ready for
God's ministry here on earth and for the fulfillment of
God's history through the return of our Savior.  Affirm the
need for focused trust in a Shepherd Who never leads us
astray; expose the heresy of God-less fear-mongering.
 4.  Work within your church and community to be ready
to serve if additional needs arise.  Develop groups or
networks of people to help deal with food shortages or the
disruption of services.  Encourage everyone to have adequate
essential supplies on hand, but discourage stockpiling (in
which increased and temporary demand most likely will cause
companies to overstock and hire short-term employees who
will be laid off once supplies are met).
 5.  Evaluate the "Y2K readiness" of your church's
computer system, especially if it maintains membership and
financial records.  Check with the computer's manufacturer
or with a church member familiar with computer systems to
ascertain whether it is Y2K compliant.
 6.  Be in prayer--to seek God's guidance for yourself,
and for all believers truly to seek to know God's will at
this time and at all moments in history.

WEISS CALLS FOR RECONCILIATION, PRAYER AND RENEWAL
AS IMPEACHMENT PROCESS CONCLUDES
 Expressing hope that the period following the
presidential impeachment process may be "a time of renewal
for our nation," Dr. Daniel E. Weiss, general secretary of
American Baptist Churches USA, has called American Baptists
to "work and pray for reconciliation, avoid self-
righteousness, seek to walk humbly and faithfully with our
God and continue to pray for the President of the United
States and all governing officials."
 The full text of his statement follows:
 "I believe many American Baptists fundamentally have
been saddened by the events leading up to and including the
Senate trial.  It has been a year without heroes, and a time
that has posed more questions than answers about public
service.  Most of us have been forced to evaluate a gamut of
concerns surrounding our elected officials--our expectations
of their conduct, as well as the viability of such notions
as fair political process, measurable standards of integrity
and truthfulness, and the objective interpretation of
Constitutional procedures.
 "And yet, throughout this entire painful period, we
have been encouraged by those within the American Baptist
family who genuinely have sought to understand God's will,
and to accept it.  For the selfless prayers they have lifted
up, and for their affirmation that God uses all situations
to strengthen our understanding and commitment, we give
praise.
 "The antipathy many now feel toward politics and
politicians must be tempered with a realization that they
are part of God's plan for our lives.  As Paul emphasized in
affirming the supremacy of Christ, "...whether thrones or
dominions or rulers or powers--all things have been created
through him and for him" (Col. 1:16).
 "We must not give up on, or separate ourselves from,
the institutions of this world.  It is my prayer that
American Baptists and all people of faith will continue to
monitor, address, seek to impact, and pray for those who
represent us in government.  Let us accept our
responsibility to share the dictates of our consciences with
those entrusted with our best interests.
 "Now that the agony of the past year is diminishing,
let us work and pray for reconciliation, avoid self-
righteousness, seek to walk humbly and faithfully with our
God and continue to pray for the President of the United
States and all governing officials.  May this be a time of
renewal for our nation."

DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO: MISSIONARY UPDATE
 American Baptist International Ministries officials
report that six International Ministries missionaries are
back at their posts in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
 Bill Clemmer and George Win are at the Evangelical
Hospital in Vanga, Glen Chapman has returned to Kikongo, and
Mark and Sandy Jo Thompson and their family and Mike Lowery
are in Kinshasa.
 Clemmer, Win and Chapman first flew to Kinshasa before
traveling on to their final destination.  Despite recently
increased security measures in the Congo the missionaries
reported that there were no problems landing at the airport.
 In an e-mail message to the Mission Center here
Chapman said that the situation in Kinshasa was "very much
business as usual" and that "the stores that I have been
into are well stocked, and there is lots of local produce at
Kingasani where the trucks first enter Kinshasa from
Bandundu Province."
 Congo, however, remains at war.  Reuters reports that
militia members and bandits armed with machetes are
ambushing vehicles by day and looting homes and cattle by
night in the rebel-held eastern portion of the country.  All
of International Ministries' missions, in partnership with
the Western Congo Baptist Community, are in the west, away
from the fighting.
 Tom Howard is scheduled to return to Kinshasa later
this month to continue his duties with Mission Aviation
Fellowship (MAF).  According to Donna Anderson, director of
the Overseas Division and associate executive director of
International Ministries, "MAF has reiterated its commitment
to a presence in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, even
if flights cannot be continued.  Therefore, after completion
of an updating seminar for trainer pilots, Tom will go back
to Kinshasa."  Other International Ministries missionaries
and their families will be returning to either the Congo or
the Republic of South Africa as conditions warrant.
 "We thank God that some of our missionaries have been
able to return to the Congo without incident," said John
Sundquist, executive director of International Ministries.
"We ask your prayers for their safety and the safety of
their families in South Africa.  We also ask for continued
prayer for those living in the Congo and that the war may
end soon."

RELIGIOUS LEADERS MEET WITH U.S. LEGISLATORS
TO PROMOTE FOREST CONSERVATION AND RESTORATION
by Fran Homer, Associate Director, Home Mission
Communication Center, National Ministries
 The Religious Campaign for Forest Conservation, a
coalition of Protestant, Catholic and Jewish leaders, met
earlier this month with members of Congress and White House
officials in an effort to convince them that the relentless
logging of America's public lands is both an environmental
catastrophe and a spiritual wrong.
 "We believe forest stewardship must be addressed from
a faith perspective," said Dr. Owen Owens, director of
Ecology and Racial Justice for National Ministries, American
Baptist Churches USA, who serves as national chair of the
coalition.  "The earth is the Lord's, and it is time to use
our minds and faith together to preserve whole forests--not
mere tree plantations--for future generations," Owens said.
 The Religious Campaign delegation presented its
concerns at a prayer breakfast arranged by Secretary of the
Interior Bruce Babbitt.  Later they met with Wesley Warren,
the Administration's chief of staff for the Environmental
Quality Board, and with Mike Dombeck, chief of the U.S.
Forest Service.  In addition, delegation members spoke with
their respective Congressional representatives or key staff.
 Among the 40-member delegation were 12 American
Baptist pastors and lay leaders, including Alvin Hadley, a
member of University Baptist Church in Columbus, Ohio, who
serves on the American Baptist Public Mission Team.  "I was
pleasantly surprised that elected and appointed officials
took time to dialogue with us," Hadley said.  "They clearly
were interested in the biblical basis for our message.  This
opens the door for the faith community to play a significant
role in this debate into the next century."
 The American Baptist Policy Statement on Ecology,
adopted by the General Board in June 1989, calls on all
members of American Baptist churches to "acknowledge our
responsibility for stewardship of the Creator's good earth,
learn of the environmental dangers facing the planet, pursue
a lifestyle that is wise and responsible in light of our
understanding of the problems, and exert our influence in
shaping public policy."
 There is an increasing awareness among religious
communities, according to Owens, of the need to act now to
save and restore America's forests.  Danger to U.S. forests
include clearcut logging, or "rip-and-run forestry," which
has accelerated over the past decade.
 In addition, when forests are cut down it affects the
entire ecosystem of the surrounding area, Owens said.  Then
when natural disasters occur the area cannot withstand the
force of nature.  As an example he points to Central
America: If many of the forests of Central America had not
been lost to commercial logging, he says, the effects of
Hurricane Mitch would have been less destructive and fewer
lives lost.
 Among information distributed by the delegation is "A
National Appeal Based upon a Biblical Theology of Creation,"
using Psalm 24:1, prepared by the Religious Campaign.  The
appeal calls for the immediate end to all cutting of ancient
and old growth forest, the end of commercial logging on
public lands, and the redirection of taxpayer Industry
subsidies into forest restoration and related jobs.
 Owens encourages American Baptists to support the
Religious Campaign with prayer and to investigate ways to
conserve and restore forests in their states.  For more
information call 1-800-ABC-3USA, ext. 1-2410.

WFN219.TXT
 -0-