From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterian Churches Called to Be "Mission Outposts"

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 19 Feb 1999 20:12:32

99068

    Presbyterian Churches Called to Be "Mission Outposts"

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The General Assembly Council has approved and forwarded
to the upcoming General Assembly a Church Growth Strategy Team (CGST)
report that is long on exhortation but short on specific strategies for
reversing the membership decline in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

    In a three-page report, the seven-member team conceded that "no single
formula [for growth] will work for all congregations and all settings," and
challenged congregations and church leaders to adapt their ministry and
mission to a rapidly changing world.

    In presenting the CGST report to the GAC during its Feb. 9-13 meeting
here, chair Jinny Miller of Mishawaka, Ind., said: "It's a changing world,
and the strategy team has been witnessing much of it! New ministries are
appearing every day before our very eyes."

    The team, which has traveled around the country for about 18 months
gathering data on successful outreach programs, asked that a successor team
be created to monitor implementation of its recommendations.

    Among the recommendations: to "declare the U.S.A. to be a mission field
and the congregations as the basis for local mission"; to urge
congregations to review plans for community outreach; to challenge each
session to do "two new things" in response to change in its community; and
to have sessions make increasing worship attendance and strengthening
Christian education programs their "statistical priorities."

    Every Presbyterian congregation, the report says, "is called to be a
mission outpost; to carry out the Great Commission to make disciples within
its neighborhood ... and to prayerfully design a mission plan to be in
ministry with those who are hurting, in need, and without Christ."

    Strategy team member Diane Wheeler said the denomination can't tell any
church how to respond. "What we're asking our congregations to do," she
said, "is to move away from `We've always done it this way' to creative new

    Presbyteries also have a key role, the report stated: "While the
primary building block of mission . . . is the local congregation, the
presbytery is the key link in providing congregations with the support,
resources, networking and training necessary to accomplish their vision."

    Although it recognized that reversing the decades-long membership
decline in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) will not be easy, the CGST
sounded an optimistic note. "We join God's call to do a new thing in our
denomination and its congregations. We especially rejoice in the
opportunity for multi-ethnic and multi-cultural growth," it stated.
"Therefore, we are more excited than fearful about the future of our
beloved Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)."

    Reinforcing its belief that renewal and growth will happen primarily in
congregations, the CGST recommended against a national special offering for
church growth; a new division on evangelism and church development at the
General Assembly level; and a declaration of a "Decade of Evangelism" in
the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).